Help with a pair of cerwin vega At-100's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with or direct me to someone who can help me troubleshoot mt pair of Cerwin Vegas. They where running off a old receiver when I received a text from my phone and the speaker cut out. Now I'm getting absolutely no sound out of the speakers. Not even a hiss. The fuses on the back seem to be fine and I checked all the wiring and everything is together. Is it possible that it is the crossover In the front where the midrange and tweeter controls are?

all input is appreciated

With the wires connected to your suspect speaker(s) but not your receiver, find a common AA,C or D battery....connect the speaker wires to the battery by holding one of the two bare wires to the bottom of the battery.....scrape the second wire across the top of the battery..........you should hear a popping or scratching sound.
If you have the grilles off the front of your speaker, you should see the woofer move in & out slightly.

If your hearing something, anything, from doing this, your speakers are OK.

__________________________________________________________Rick......

Uh Oh.....that's not good...If I'm not mistaken, the fuses on CVs are for tweeters only.......It could be that your old amp failed & applied lots of direct current(DC) into both channels & toasted your Cerwin Vegas. As has been noted, this is not a common failure at all & a bit of a mystery. If the amp did fail like this & took out your CVs, I wouldn't be hooking up nor powering up that old amp. If it is an intermittent failure on the amp side it might fail again wrecking whatever is connected.
Do yourself a big favor & buy yourself a multimeter. Every household should have one.......I got my best & longest lasting one at Sears...........paid some $60 , digital, some dozen or more years ago, replaced three or so fuses worth, three sets of batteries & use it almost constantly for one thing or another. Taken care of they will last a very long time...& you can learn from it.
With this tool in hand you may never again have to pay someone else to fix things for you.
We can walk you thru troubleshooting your CVs......& still pay less than "sending it out" to someone else.

---------------------------------------------------------Rick.........

Actually Richard, as silly as it sounds at the moment I believe I have overlooked my fuses on the speaker. The fuse itself was not broken or split but the metal that wraps the fuse is melted away from each other and has left gaps in the connection. I beleive this is my problem. Im going to go out to homedepot tomorrow to buy the correct fuses. If trouble persists I will speak up.
Thanks for all the help!
Cheers, Aaron

You say your receiver works fine but you had enough juice to blow the fuses in CV's. Something is not right. How loud was it when the speakers stopped working?

BTW,
I have 4 multimeters ranging from cheap to medium, analog and digital, ranging from 5-35 years old and they all work fine and have never given me any trouble. They are a super handy item. Buy a decent one.

I have had all sorts of failures with glass fuses....the classic failure is the break of the filament, easily seen...the glass clean & clear...OK.
Then there's the one where so much power is applied the filament vaporizes, clouding the glass with a smokey black....then the ones with the loose end-caps. My favorite, the filament "broken off" within the end-cap, sometimes the filament will "flop around".....with some head-scratching..one figures it is detached...but can't see it.........This is where the Multimeter comes in.

______________________________________________________Rick.......

Attachments

• Fuse.JPG
    Fuse.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 28
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.