Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Forza is offline Forza  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Zaph Seas L18 / Seas 27TBFCG

I'm looking for a simple but nice upgrade for my surround system speakers (currently they are KEF KHT2005, the little egg-speakers). The only 'problem' is that the speakers will have to be wall mounted. I have 2 L18 H1224 laying around and figured I could use them more efficiently . A search around the interweb resulted in 1 strong contender which is the Zaph design with the h1212 tweeter.

I'd like to build these in a sealed enclosure (about 7 liters or 0.24 cubic feet), with the reduced BSC option. But would it be a problem to reduce the height to 30 cm (slightly less then 12 inches)? I want to use one as a centerspeaker and 14 inch wouldn't fit beneath my tv.

Another option could be to place one on it's side as a center speaker. I will be sitting right in front of it, would it sound ok?
Old 5th November 2012, 09:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Forza,

You should keep the internal volume the same and recalculate the needed BSC (directly related to the enclosure width). Or use a sim like EDGE provides.

Tolvan Data

If you place a speaker on it's side the radiation pattern will change to, try using Boxsim to see what happens.

Boxsim - Homepage
Old 6th November 2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Forza is offline Forza  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Well, I'd like to keep the enclosures as small as possible, and according to WinISD and the design software from Jeff Bagby the 'ideal' size is about 6,5 to 7 liters (Q=0.7).

They will play in my bedroom, which is about 4m x 4m (13ft x 13ft). But it's already full with a pair of floorstanders and a enormous subwoofer (for such a small room ), alongside my bed, closet and desk. So I would like to have them as small as possible and wall mounted.

Zaph posted a reduced BSC himself, so I won't need to do any calculating ... I think ... I hope .
Old 6th November 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Dissi is online now Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

If you use a high-pass capacitor of 470 uF in series with the woofer, you can even reduce the volume to 3 litres. I would choose the minimum depth possible (around 11 cm) in order to wall-mount the speaker. But the crossover of Zaph will probably not work anymore.
Old 6th November 2012, 01:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
Well, I'd like to keep the enclosures as small as possible, and according to WinISD and the design software from Jeff Bagby the 'ideal' size is about 6,5 to 7 liters (Q=0.7).

They will play in my bedroom, which is about 4m x 4m (13ft x 13ft). But it's already full with a pair of floorstanders and a enormous subwoofer (for such a small room ), alongside my bed, closet and desk. So I would like to have them as small as possible and wall mounted.

Zaph posted a reduced BSC himself, so I won't need to do any calculating ... I think ... I hope .
The BSC frequency is directly related to the enclosure width, so if you change that also the BSC frequency will change. The amount of BSC you will need is probably low because you are mounting them on a wall (effectively 2Pi space).

Maybe this will be helpful: http://www.mh-audio.nl/bdl.asp

Last edited by Mark.Clappers; 6th November 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!