Need Advice on integrating BSC circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Suppose I have an existing circuit design for a two way linkwitz riley and I wish to add a BSC.

There is already an inductor on the woofer + side... So can I just add the value of the BSC inductor to this one and add the resistor in para to it, or would I keep the XO design as is, then closer to the woofer + add the BSC circuit ?

Last edited:
Converting a wall mounter which has 6dB of wall gain to a freestander with BSC (bafflestep compensation) is quite an interesting idea. Usually you increase the series inductor on the bass, decrease the shunt capacitor proportionately, and hope for the best in the modelling. Inevitably you have to decrease the tweeter level too, since you are attenuating the midrange in effect.

Let's try Rod Elliot's BSC circuit here instead.
Loudspeaker Diffraction Loss and Baffle Step Compensation Circuits

Say, 8" wide cabinet on this slightly boomy little wallmounter aka bookshelf design. 1.7mH and 6 ohms drops out for the full 6dB BSC effect.

Not bad, actually. Notice you have to increase the rolloff capacitor and attenuate the treble more because you've added a resistor to the bass. Worth trying. Doubtless depends on the woofer a bit too. Care to share what drivers, cabinet and circuit you have at the moment, or is it all a secret? :D

Attachments

• No_BSC_Compensation.JPG
    No_BSC_Compensation.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 159
  • FR_No_BSC_Compensation.JPG
    FR_No_BSC_Compensation.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 155
  • BSC_Compensation.JPG
    BSC_Compensation.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 150
  • FR_BSC_Compensation.JPG
    FR_BSC_Compensation.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Thanks. so, if I am already attenuating the tweeter by 2db and then apply a 3db BSC, I need to also attenuate the tweet 3 more db for 5db in total right ?

Also, should I go for 6db? or 3db ?

In the end this really chews up some power and sensitivity doesn't it ?

Do most designers use BSC or just leave it off in keeping the XO simpler ?

Alsdo, this is all just theoretical right now. I have designed several pairs of speakers in the past and all sounded nice with out BSC. I just thought I would experiment with this. Recently an high end audio shop went out of business here and I managed to get some pairs of drivers of various types. MCM Electronics, PSB, Totem, Made in Taiwan, :)

I thought I might try the MCM 55-2200 6.5" in a two way with some Vifa Logic AC25SG tweeters and play with a BSC in the design.

Last edited:
As I said, there is a knock-on effect on the bass shunt capacitor AND the tweeter attenuation. But yes, you've got it right for 3dB BSC. :)

It IS an inefficient circuit. The resistor gets hot and perhaps could be 20W wirewound in some combination. On the other hand, it ought to give the amp an easy load and sound smooth. Perhaps valve-like.

All experimental, IMO. Results with this circuit have been promising providing everything else is right on the cabinet. Really couldn't say what you might run into, since you haven't revealed anything about the speaker. Oh wait, you've done an edit.

In fact standmounters are generally much easier to design than bookshelves, but lose efficiency.

if you use the resistor, the 2nd option , if you go for max bsc (no resistor), the first. In both cases deduct the value of the existing inductor from the BSC inductor

Am I correct in understanding you here.... Are you saying that you can use the inductor only and leave off the resistor ?

And in this case can you explain again how I obtain the value of the single inductor on the woofer side ?

re:'Are you saying that you can use the inductor only and leave off the resistor ?' - yes, for the full 6dB BSC.
re:'how I obtain the value of the single inductor' - Baffle step freq = 115/baffle width(metres). Find the impedance of your woofer at that freq & work out the value of the inductor using an on-line calculator for 1st order crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.