Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 02:36 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
They are refering to 2 channel to 5.1 surround decoders. They are completely different than 2 channel to 3 speaker matrixes. Usually the are not linear but employ all kinds of nonlinear processing to try to create the missing information for 5 speakers.

However if we have 3 speakers and they are in front the situation is very much easier.
Hmm... good point! I've got a BruteFIR-based DSP with a web interface (to add/configure filters) here, so linear-matrixing is very easy to implement. All I need is an extra speaker. Which is sort of a problem at the moment.

Quote:
What is "standard" ? How many speakers ?
- Elias
Standard is simply 2-ch stereo.
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:12 PM   #82
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tewinkel View Post
I've got a BruteFIR-based DSP with a web interface (to add/configure filters) here, so linear-matrixing is very easy to implement. All I need is an extra speaker. Which is sort of a problem at the moment.
For starters there is no need for DSP. All you need is stereo amplifier with common ground and some wire and use some of the passive schemes from this thread. For this experiment 3 speakers is a must, though. Looks like you have another task for the new year
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:15 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Standard is simply 2-ch stereo.
No I mean what is "the standard linear-matrix upmixing" method you did not find performing well ?
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:27 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No I mean what is "the standard linear-matrix upmixing" method you did not find performing well ?
If I'm not mistaken it was Dolby Pro Logic (or perhaps Pro Logic II). I think the receiver was a Marantz SR-7000, but I'm not sure. It was about five years ago. I am still curious about trying centre derivations and/or ambience extraction methods, so yes, I have a new task for this year

Last edited by a_tewinkel; 2nd January 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 03:44 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It was Dolby Pro Logic think, or possibly Pro Logic II. It was about five years ago. I am still curious about trying centre derivations and/or ambience extraction methods, so yes, I have a new task for this year
Also please try the side wall setup I've shown. There's something "special" about this.
I've had my Nathan's set up in a standard ±30° stereo triangle away from the walls, with a 45° toe-in. The loud contralateral reflection had a detrimental effect on imaging. With the speakers directly at the wall, the problem is completely gone. The resulting reflection pattern seems to aid reproduction (spaciousness and depth).
One simply needs to experiment with toe-in to get the ratio between direct sound and first reflections right. I've also found that the distance from listener to speakers needs to be exactly the same and it's important the whole setup is symmetrical.
The whole front wall in my room is damped. Not sure how important this is.

Last edited by markus76; 2nd January 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:06 PM   #86
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No I mean what is "the standard linear-matrix upmixing" method
Apart from all the theorizing and “should works” and "special cases", is there any simple matrix technique that will, with a majority (or at least a substantial minority) of recordings currently available and over a reasonable sized listening area (not the “one chair in an otherwise empty room”) provide a consistent improvement in overall imaging and center channel stability when compared to plain old “standard” two channel reproduction?

Is there anything, that is, that you can simply “plug in”, add a center speaker, and expect “better” sound most of the time, and degraded sound rarely if at all?
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:33 PM   #87
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A simple summed L+R=C properly dosed has always worked for me. Take some time to find the correct level for the center and you'll be happy. But maybe I'm easy to please.
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:44 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Apart from all the theorizing and “should works” and "special cases", is there any simple matrix technique that will, with a majority (or at least a substantial minority) of recordings currently available and over a reasonable sized listening area (not the “one chair in an otherwise empty room”) provide a consistent improvement in overall imaging and center channel stability when compared to plain old “standard” two channel reproduction?

Is there anything, that is, that you can simply “plug in”, add a center speaker, and expect “better” sound most of the time, and degraded sound rarely if at all?
If we include head turning and/or off center listeners, then any method is an improvement over the standard 2 speaker stereo triangle.

See posts #59 and #60 for a simple how-to.

- Elias
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:48 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
A simple summed L+R=C properly dosed has always worked for me.
While this does improve the center image stability, simple center sum does not increase spaciousness but rather increase the 'mononity' of the presentation.

I think it is an additional advantage to cross feed negative signals to opposite side channels, too.

- Elias
Old 2nd January 2013, 06:07 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

@marcus

Are those FRS8s in the cardboard at the wall? Where is the nearfield bass crossed in?

I have also wanted to try 3"s in 45cm x 45cm carpet squares that I have lying around, and curve the square a little to terminate well in the corners, but I'm very pressed for time at the moment.

Hide this!Advertise here!