Bracing material? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2012, 11:04 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Generally it is a good idea to make the bracing from a different material than the cab itself and use a lossy adhesive ie one that does not set solid.

Unevenly spaced is also a good move as JRKO said and to make sure that it is not parallel to the cabinet walls.
I figured so. Not to spiral back into mdf vs. the world but my current plan it to use mdf for the cabinet and ply for the bracing base on what I have read so far.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:23 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Also, any reason to get fancy with the ply...or just standard home improvement store material?
Old 16th November 2012, 12:12 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Ask for no void ply. They may tell you no one makes it. Persist. Use mdf if nothing else can be found. Nothing whatsoever. I would sooner use osb, but thicker. The subfloor grade is at least made of wood not dust etc.
Old 16th November 2012, 05:41 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A good thing AFAIC
Only if you can shift the resonances above ~3 kHz. With wood? Never!
Old 16th November 2012, 05:46 AM   #65
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No need to take them that high... a bit above 5-700 Hz and with high Q and they become difficult to excite if the excitation source is music.

dave
Old 16th November 2012, 06:54 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Available data shows that between 500 and 700 Hz the perception of panel resonances is higher than above or below. Also,

Quote:
become difficult to excite if the excitation source is music.
may be true from an esoteric, but not from an engineering POV.
Old 16th November 2012, 07:45 AM   #67
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballbat View Post
Available data shows that between 500 and 700 Hz the perception of panel resonances is higher than above or below.
Which has the requirement that the panels are excited into resonating.

Quote:
Not at all. The purpose of speakers is to play music. That is the excitation source for any resonance.

dave
Old 16th November 2012, 09:51 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballbat View Post
Quote:
Not at all. The purpose of speakers is to play music. That is the excitation source for any resonance.
Just quickly played a 500hz test tone. As far as I can figure theres no way you could excite a stiff ply panel into vibration/excitation at that frequency with a standard design with music at normal listening levels.

If you got a system to the level required you'd be more worried about hearing loss than vibration in the box anyway.

'most' systems just don't get played that loud, or are even capable of that volume. Also I don't know anyone who listens to high volume test tones for pleasure

Last edited by JRKO; 16th November 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:01 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Which has the requirement that the panels are excited into resonating.
Which they are.

Quote:
Music consists of a combination of tones. Play a special measurement signal, record the output of the panel, and you can predict the response to ANY other signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO
Just quickly played a 500hz test tone. As far as I can figure theres no way you could excite a stiff ply panel into vibration/excitation at that frequency with a standard design with music at normal listening levels.
How much will a midrange unit be excited at 500 Hz? Have you hit a panel resonance at 500 Hz?

Quote:
If you got a system to the level required you'd be more worried about hearing loss than vibration in the box anyway.
Panel excitation is mainly a linear process, so no matter how loud you play, the ratio between direct sound from the drivers to radiated sound by the panels is always the same.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:19 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Given the size of the typical speaker you guys build, no. But if you have panels of more than a couple square feet, it can be easily done with some rockin' roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Huh? What say? Speak up, son!

BTW, Lowe's sells 1/4 x 2 oak strips that work well to make egg-crate bracing. Braces running across from panel to panel sometimes make it ring more.

Hide this!Advertise here!