Bracing material? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 08:56 PM   #41
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
stratus (strata?)
Stratum and Strati.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:36 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

lol. Man. I didnt think I was on that much of a ramble... insert "holey" where I said "window" and see if that helps.
Ill have to remember the stratum strati thing... lol. What are rock strata them:-)

Last edited by mondogenerator; 14th November 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:49 PM   #43
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ta? Lol I mean a holey brace. My point being that holey window like braces work effectively, and ply or MDF arent as different in comparison to when theyre being used as panels, in their strongest plane. [b] Laminated ply designs are wasteful and have been criticised for using the material in the same plane.

no doubt that the trans-lam approach (not necessarily restricted to sheet goods, as evidenced by some recent "butcher block" fabrications) allows for functional shapes and aesthetic design features not possible with flat sheet goods, but even with the most efficient nesting CNC routing software, the cut yield is atrocious, nay, criminal I say - and then there's the assembly and finishing labor

window braces - cute Cal - think horizontal roof trusses
Old 14th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
but even with the most efficient nesting CNC routing software, the cut yield is atrocious, nay, criminal I say
Unless you make a fish wall that is.
Quote:
window braces -
There's actually such a thing, not sure how I went that far off track though. It should have been obvious but...well you remember the 60's?
Quote:
cute Cal -
Thank you. I thought you had stopped noticing.
Quote:
think horizontal roof trusses
What them Joyce thingees?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-THUNDER...-/110753282993
Old 15th November 2012, 08:00 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

hysterical... 60s really took their toll I gather. Holey braces, in England where the language is almost spoken, are worn out elastic trouser suspenders. What you call a window brace is a pillar over here.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:23 PM   #46
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
What you call a window brace is a pillar over here.
Really? A pillar here is the same as a post or column. A window brace is either the brackets that support a shelf on the outside of your window for a flower pot or A/C unit or in the case of a car, it's like that part in the link above.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:50 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
how'd we get onto double glazing systems?
Old 15th November 2012, 04:04 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Really? A pillar here is the same as a post or column. A window brace is either the brackets that support a shelf on the outside of your window for a flower pot or A/C unit or in the case of a car, it's like that part in the link above.
to the best of my knowledge, since i dont drive, over here its a roof pillar, or A-pillar. Something of the like. Just like hood is bonnet. English is a weird language.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:10 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
how'd we get onto double glazing systems?
Quite. A conveniant diversion from my earlier post, which was quite salient, for once.

I.e. That holey braces in MDF or ply arent worth comparing. Elsewhere in box construction, the strength of ply is valuable.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:21 PM   #50
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
but even with the most efficient nesting CNC routing software, the cut yield is atrocious, nay, criminal I say
Anyone wanna guess what I'm building?

I'm doing a CNC setup with shelf bracing and yes, cut yield is atrocious (the circles were cutoffs from something else, so no waste there).

To get the most of the material I'm planning to make diffusors from the shelf brace cutouts, by simply stacking them and gluing them in hills and valleys. Not a Skyline but should be quite effective. The cutouts for the non-braced sections will be saved and re-cut into another translam enclosure shape, so I should wind up with somewhere around 50% overall material efficiency from the starting point of circles.

Hide this!Advertise here!