First build, OS mtm tower with sub. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2012, 02:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First build, OS mtm tower with sub.

Hello all. I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking behind the scenes for a while trying to absorb as much info as possible on DIY speaker building. Though I'm new to the DIY speaker building, i do have extensive experience with wood working. I'm really excited to dive right into my first build. After a bit of research, I decided to try my hand at one of Mr. Carmody's designs, the OS mtm, but with a twist. I chose these not only for their aesthetic appeal, but for their small compact size that I was looking for to fit in my small 10x12 office. My office will also fill part time duty as a mini pseudo theater. I really don't have room for a sub, hence my design twist on Carmody's design. I'm sure I will have quite a few questions along the way as I still have much to learn. Below is my proposed design. I didn't want to mess with the original volume of the cabinet, I'm just building around it. I thought it would be really cool to try and incorporate a small sub into the bottom of each enclosure. For my application, my intent is to power the sub with an external amp with the signal fed from my Denon AVR. The crossover would of course be handled by the Denon. Sorry for the amateurish drawing. I don't yet own speaker design software so I had to rely on illustrator. Any and all suggestions/criticisms welcome.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by kcalvano1; 3rd November 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You may find it useful to post and ask questions here: Tech Talk Forum

Lot's of builds of the OS MTM. You will want to keep the subs on the "inner" sides of the speaker otherwise you'll not be hearing much direct sub from them, more room. Lots more issues/ things to consider once you pick your sub/amp combo. Here's one to consider: Digger8 Sub - diggity dig it all the way to 20Hz
You can probably port it rather than passive radiators, given your likely cabinet size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcalvano1 View Post
Hello all. I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking behind the scenes for a while trying to absorb as much info as possible on DIY speaker building. Though I'm new to the DIY speaker building, i do have extensive experience with wood working. I'm really excited to dive right into my first build. After a bit of research, I decided to try my hand at one of Mr. Carmody's designs, the OS mtm, but with a twist. I chose these not only for their aesthetic appeal, but for their small compact size that I was looking for to fit in my small 10x12 office. My office will also fill part time duty as a mini pseudo theater. I really don't have room for a sub, hence my design twist on Carmody's design. I'm sure I will have quite a few questions along the way as I still have much to learn. Below is my proposed design. I didn't want to mess with the original volume of the cabinet, I'm just building around it. I thought it would be really cool to try and incorporate a small sub into the bottom of each enclosure. For my application, my intent is to power the sub with an external amp with the signal fed from my Denon AVR. The crossover would of course be handled by the Denon. Sorry for the amateurish drawing. I don't yet own speaker design software so I had to rely on illustrator. Any and all suggestions/criticisms welcome.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th November 2012, 02:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Servo-Sub

To implement a small footprint enclosure without sacrifice to low frequency response, you may want to consider a servo controlled sub-woofer and amplifier. Here is an example [1] to consider that supports DIY.
Regards,
WHG
[1] Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products

Hide this!Advertise here!