EP21 - Single Stereo Loudspeakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 12:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well if I'm lucky the three B3Ns will arrive today or tomorrow

Elias, do you have any guidelines about the front and side baffle dimensions? My plan is basically to come up with whatever aesthetically pleasing (it will stand directly in front of me!) ... and equalise accordingly.
Old 7th November 2012, 06:25 AM   #12
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Well if I'm lucky the three B3Ns will arrive today or tomorrow

Elias, do you have any guidelines about the front and side baffle dimensions? My plan is basically to come up with whatever aesthetically pleasing (it will stand directly in front of me!) ... and equalise accordingly.
for my part I would say that 23x23x23 cm are minimum dimensions - such is my experience with a simple stereo bipole (that is L and R back-to-back only, without any center or any matrix filtering) with speakers slightly bigger than B3N
Old 7th November 2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

I've tried front baffle widths between 20-25 cm. Depth could be a little more than width, currently mine is 33 cm but I suppose 25-35 should be fine. The height has settled automatically for around 40 cm.

Usually I cross around 200-300 Hz to stereo dipole basses. The bass reproduction of the box is not a design goal.

- Elias
Old 7th November 2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cT equals piD View Post
But as far as I know a system like your SSS has never been commercialized
Does it prevent you from trying it yourself ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Why don't you try it and you will change your mind.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Does it prevent you from trying it yourself ?
The dimensions of my listening area aren't compatible for your proposed type of reproduction. Also I assume that any furnishings in a room obstructing sound radiated by the speaker towards the side walls would not be a good thing, making this type of system not so practical for a lot of people.

I'm not suggesting that nobody would like the type of reproduction produced by your SSS. For example, a fair number of people apparently like the reproduction of the Bose 901. As you probably know, in the Bose 901, eight of the nine drivers of the system face away from the listener, while the remaining one faces toward the listener.

Regards,
Pete
Old 8th November 2012, 12:45 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

This is my thinking of the design currently.

The reason enclosures so thin is to allow addition of 8" woofers (also 3 of them on the front and sides) in case SPL is not enough to transition to the subs.

Subwoofers would be dipoles at 200hz, but eventually will be true cardioid.

gainphile.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/ep21-single-stereo-loudspeakers.html

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread.

This PDF of a 1971 article from Ted Jordan may be of interest. It uses a reflector system with two drivers back to back in a central box. The end result is broadly similar to the SSS but with a greater roll-off at HF from the center 'speaker'.

I tried it many years ago and thought it worked quite well, although only with single cone drivers.

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/PDFs/Jordan_WW_Feb_71.pdf

Using a pair of reflectors would broaden the use of the SSS to rooms which don't have two adjacent parallel walls and the article gives some guidelines re size and materials for the reflectors.

Last edited by Colin; 12th November 2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12th November 2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Banned

There is a thread "discussing" that approach.

All of these unconventional approaches to stereo reproduction can (not necessarily do) sound more realistic when compared to the typical reflection-controlled approach but do they sound better?
In my opinion they do not sound better because they completely ignore how most recordings are created. Just like upmixing stereo for multichannel playback can create a very realistic presentation with certain recordings, it can also completely fail.
Instead of forcing stereo to be what it is not, it probably makes more sense to move on to multichannel which supports a controlled way of delivering a more realistic spatial reproduction.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:44 PM   #19
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Ah, that's an endless debate -- the feel of realistic vs real precision.

For me, if the presentation is reasonable and life-like, I don't really care it's a copy of the recording scene (or master room) or not.

I believe real multi-channel can be excellent. However, to complete the whole thing -- from recording to playback, there'd be so many more possible mistakes than plain stereo. We can't stop that. (no one can)

In comparison, it's nothing wrong keeping the simple stereo format and improving it somewhat in the range we can.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:55 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

so, you are not delaying the center driver?

And you have equal and parallel side walls ?

Hide this!Advertise here!