JBL 4530 scoop with 4560 front loaded horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking about making a new speaker set for home use. As i really like horn speakers i was looking for a full horn system (front and back loaded horn).
I have no experience calculating horn throats and working with hornresp so i want to use a design already used. I have a set of jbl E145's which i want to use for this project. Would it be possible combining a blh jbl 4530 and connect the front loaded horn of a 4560 to it? In this case, i would have the 80 Hz advantage of the 4530 and straighten the 150 Hz dip with the 4560 horn in the front. I now it would not have real bass below +- 50 Hz, but i can live with that. Another possibility would be using a blh tannoy GRF-R design instead of the jbl scoop, the front horn could also be a altec 816 instead of the jbl 4560

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Had an old friend that made larger 18" scoops with a stubby horn in front of the 18", they worked quite well using cheap Pyle 18"s.

Without using a design program of some sort, hard to estimate where the peaks and dips will land.

If you don't want to bother with Hornresp, probably better to just copy a known working design.

This would probably work O.K. using the E145 speakers:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/185588-keystone-sub-using-18-15-12-inch-speakers.html

And would give good response down to 35 Hz. You would need to reduce the Keystone exit a bit for optimum response using a 15".
A front loaded 12" or 15" would pretty much keep up above 100-125 Hz, going horn loaded above that is not so important, and requires a very large horn unless using a ported/midbass horn like the 4560.

Art

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.