scanspeak illuminator mid range worth the $$$? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2012, 10:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

When I go to the supermarket, if the ingredients between the name brand and the generic one is comparible, I buy the cheaper one.
Old 30th October 2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

A rule of thumb that has served me well is: "If you have to ask then no". The point of diminishing results that can crush a man's will. I have saved and scraped in the past, hoping that the very expensive, magic driver would blow my hair back and make me wonder how I could have listened to anything lesser in the past. I never experienced that. I was repeatedly disappointed with how little, if any, improvement there is to be had from relatively, radically expensive drivers when compared to well designed drivers of reasonable price. MarkAudio emitters are a prime example of the latter. Price to performance ratio is through the roof, plus they are easy to design with, it would take some skill to make them sound badly. On the other end (to me) the most expensive Lowther sounds only marginally better than a similar Fostex and very comparably after a couple tweaks to the Fostex. I'm not suggesting any of those drivers for your application just making a point based on what I'm most familiar with.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:37 PM   #13
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
When I go to the supermarket, if the ingredients between the name brand and the generic one is comparible, I buy the cheaper one.
And as it happens there is an alternative: SB Acoustics SB12MNRX25

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/SBAcou...RX25-4-CSD.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/SBAcou...NRX25-4-HD.gif

vs. the Scanspeak 12MU8731T-00

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/Scansp...31T-00-CSD.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/Scansp...731T-00-HD.gif

Note though that the SB is 4 ohms and the Scan is 8, BUT they are about as efficient when factoring in impedance.

Last edited by ScottG; 30th October 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:51 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Don't under estimate quality of made, it comes at a price.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:55 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

What puzzles me about that SB driver is why it shows the third order rising so much with frequency. The other SB drivers that Zaph has measured do not show this and clearly SB are not against putting enough copper in the motor, at low prices, to keep THD flat, so why leave it out in this driver? If it had flat THD it'd easily be another SB giant killer, but as it is, I don't see it as anything special.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:24 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
Don't under estimate quality of made, it comes at a price.
On the whole I would tend to agree, but the law of diminishing returns sets in fairly quickly when it comes to loudspeaker parts. I mean if you compare the best representative for whatever category and look at what you get for below $75 vs what you can get for above $75, you're not getting much more for however much you choose to spend over it. Some drivers do buck the trend, but this is usually because the expensive driver has a certain combination of parameters that no other driver really has. This isn't normally because of price, it's just that no one has bothered to make a more cost effective driver with those parameters.

Yes the boutique scan drivers do have an attention to detail and build quality that you wont find at a lower price, but their top line discovery tweeter, the 913000, has a performance that rivals their most expensive designs. The build quality of the illuminator tweeters is higher then that of the 913000, but what does it get you? Nothing really, the tweeters are just different rather then unquestionably better. Now if scan would only release other versions of this tweeter with different dome materials, then we'd be talking!
Old 31st October 2012, 01:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I would say no to the scan speak. I saw a review and don't know were it was or were I read it but, They weighted the scan speak cone next to the fostex fe126en cones and the scan speak cone was 10 times the weight of the fostex cones. If your looking for a really good midrange if its not fullrange I will go with the Audax Carbon Fiber 4 inch Hm100c0 or the 5 inch HM130c0 drives. Now with hearing their 8 inch driver model HM210C0 they are one of my favs. They are very live and very vivide and have a wide sound stage. If money is a cost factor then I would look no further then silver flute drivers big bang for the buck. I built my dad apair of speakers using their 6 1/2 inch driver and a seas $55.00 soft done tweeter. The speakers still sound good after 9 years of being moved around and now up north for good. The Silver Flute drivers are very smooth and warm sounding drivers. They remond me of the pair of Vennia Bach I had years ago. Also from a review friend of a friend of mine the accuton drivers are very easy to blow. Hope this helps Jm

Last edited by cross reference; 31st October 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:28 AM   #18
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
If it had flat THD it'd easily be another SB giant killer, but as it is, I don't see it as anything special.
This assumes that it's terribly important to have at a lower level..

In testing with a music signal I can't hear the Harmonic distortion anywhere near the levels this driver presents.

Further, I'm betting that it doesn't raise much (at higher freq.s) with level - so it's likely pretty much a static quantity. (..lower freq.s will have an increase with level.)

Still, your right that it's something that should be improved.. no sense not to.

On the other hand it has *very* nice linear decay, and a reasonably nice freq. response - it is something of a "giant killer".

Last edited by ScottG; 31st October 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:50 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post

Still, your right that it's something that should be improved.. no sense not to.
This is exactly what makes me scratch my head. I would like to know why SB chose not to keep the motor at the standard of their other drivers. It also makes me wonder how the mid/bass version, the SB12NRX25-04, would perform too. The 5" and 6" versions show the better motors, why not the 4"
Old 31st October 2012, 02:09 AM   #20
_henry_ is online now _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

prob designer decision for performance vs value. it may not be that significant to spend more on the motor if does not yield to expected result.

Hide this!Advertise here!