Replacing Speaker Veneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've picked up a pair of JPW Monitor Gold Speakers that are in great condition but are black and I'd like to replace the veneer with a nice wood.

Has anyone replaced veneer? Do I need to take off the old or just put the new veneer over the old?

Where is the best place in the UK to purchase veneer?

Anyone ever tweaked or updated the JPW Monitor Golds?

There are some threads here on veneering, and likely a boatload of online resources.

My take on it is that if you have no experience don't try.
Doing a good veneer job is a bit tricky, and you don't get second chances if you make a blunder.

Veneer chips and cracks if you just "look funny" at at it - that is to say it is best case fragile and brittle.

I'd take it to a pro if you want veneer done.
or maybe seek out a hobby group where members are experienced with doing veneer.

In case you're uncertain, think about what you are going to do assuming you get the veneer flat on the surfaces, how you are going to get the edges to match and how you will trim then so that they look straight and true?

Sure it can be done. But at least you should get some junk boxes and try the techniques first to see if you can get a sufficiently good fit and finish before trying on the JPW speakers...

My opinions... do not reflect those of the staff and management, or anyone else.

:D

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.