4 way with Focal drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been planning on building these speakers for some years now. I think I bought the first driver around 2001.

Im up at work now, so I dont have the part numbers to hand, but Ive got a pair of Focal tx90x (or something similar) tweeters, a pair of Focal 5K4411 mids. and 2 pairs of 7" Focal kevlar woofers, that I got off ebay. Again I'll have to dig them out of the cupboard and get the part numbers to find specs, but I think they have a sesitivity of 89db, so at the time I figured 2 pairs would be needed to match the level of the tweet/mids.

Then the plan was to also include 12" or 15" subs but I havnt bought any yet.

After spending the last few days looking into Minidsps ive decided to use a 4x10 as an active crossover, as its seems alot easier to fiddle with that, then design a passive crossover.

Also im thinking that I might not need to use both pairs of woofers, as I could adjust levels?

so rather than just building one box, Im going to build it modular (at least for testing). So have the tweet/mid in one box, each woofer in thheir own box, and subs. Then when im happy with the design, build one proper box.

many years ago I saw speakers that had the subs in the bottom, but firing out the side rather than the front. I liked the look of it. but after reading various websites I get the impression a seperate sub that can be moved around would be better?

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers
Scott

(putting this in here so i dont forget: "Ideally at the crossover point drivers should be less than a 1/2 wavelength centre-to-centre" closest tweet/mid can be mounted is 116mm so xover has to be 1493hz or lower)

Last edited:
Yeah your right, and besides Ive got them, may as well use them.

Done some calcs on the mid/tweeter box. The mid needs a sealed volume of 1.983L. It means that the front baffle has to be bigger than the box. (so i'll probably just knock it up with nothing behind the tweeter. is there a minimum distance I should keep the tweeter from the edge of the baffle?

This iswhat im thinking of for the mid/tweet box today. I know the woofers boxes arnt big enough, was just getting an idea of overall width.

Attachments

• sketch_1.jpg
    sketch_1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 428
turns out I have tc120td5 tweeters and 8k5412 8 inch woofers

sensitity are : tweeter: 93.5db
mid 91db
woofer 90db

plus I have noticed the woofers have deformed a bit from when they were in storage. the speaker cone was pushed in, so the spider dosnt sit level with the magment.

tested one, and it still seems to work, but I think I will have to use both pairs

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looks good sprocket :) My first post here on diyAudio was asking about using the focal 6W4311 in a three way. It was to be my first design :) In the end I chickened out because of possible difficulties with the crossover that the W cone focals were renowned for. That was in 2003 (so a couple of years later than you started). I ended up buying morel drivers in I think 2004, and I finally got the enclosures finished in 2010. I got the crossovers right about a year ago and have been enjoying them ever since. So I can relate to projects that seem to have been going forever ;)

Looking again at the manufacturers response curve (for the 6W4311) it looks really benign.... and if it matches that in reality it is probably easier to deal with than my final choice Morel MW 144's which is pretty ironic ;)

Tony.

I think the crossover intimidated me too, which is why I kept putting it off. I thought I would have to do a lot of research on crossover design if I was to have any chance of getting it sort of ok.

After hearing about minidsp a few weeks ago, I figured that would be perfect for me... easy to make changes and tweaks.

Although Im going to start with a soundblaster Audigy card and kx drivers seeing as I already have one. Also trying to get a old 6.1 receiver off ebay, and was thinking about digging out a couple of Alpine type-r subs ive got. Just to get it started

So i got the second TM done before flying out to work. At work I had a bit of time to research PC XO's. got carried away and won a Digi001 off ebay. (should have researched it first as max sample rate is 48000) Also have decided on Console and various VST plugins

Now im home waiting fore it to arrive, have been testing as much as I can be bothered to till it arrives. Have had dramas with the Audigy though (as to be expected.) with constant popping and the occasional stutter. Ive tried everything over the last 3 days that I can think of... In the end, pulling the wireless networks card (had already tried just removing the antenna) and setting up foobar to use the asio plug in to route through a differnt channel other than asio 0/1 on KX Dsp has done the trick.

I have a suspicion it was pulling the card that worked, as ive seen mention in my googling of "PCI Latency"

Also dramas with having to reroute wave output to asio in KX DSP just to get it into Console. So when I get the Digi It will hopefully be happy days. As much of a bastard the Audigy has been, I will keep it to use in future. maybe when I finally build a Destop/Gaming, and use it to run speakers I can put near or on my desk.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
...... DSP will be the easy part..... speaker design/construction will be the main problem for me......

not to ruin your sweet dreams :D but the DSP setting is probably the most tricky part of all
and next, woofer-bass-box 'allignment' can be tricky too

but like you said, at least the DSP part is easy to change ;) and change, and change ....and again

you will be shouting for the DSP guys to come and help up :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So have just got the digi001 in the system.

having issues getting audio on an input for it. looks like either the asio drivers for it only support one aplication at a time, or its an input assigment issue..

so at the moment its optical spdif out of the Audigy and into the Digi001. Which works fine, but im wondering if the optical loopback is bad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.