Deep -10db spike at 80hz on bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
My job these days is to recap Philips mfb speakers RH544 which are 3 way. It is wery nice sounding speaker, beamped, with passive 2 way for mid n' hi band. Measuring with behringer rta from deq 2496, i got big negative spike-deep in curve (cca 10db), about 80 hz. for bass loudspeaker. This meaning, deq have to compensate this with giving more gain to that region. How to compensate this with some rc filter or something else? Original, not recaped one have same curve shape. Amp for this speaker is with condenser, 6800uF, only for bass, without any filter ...

Another problem (smaller, but) is positive spike-high (cca 6db) about 13 khz, in tweeter region. what to do with that?

Have to say, it is only measurement, speakers sound extraordinary, with deeep, almost stomach moving bass down to 30hz)

Is that a dip in the speaker response or is it a room effect? You should get proper measuring gear, e.g. REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page

Hi Markus, Thanks, i went to smaler but long room and got another readings)
544 old and new.JPG

Attachments

• Phillips RH544 orig.jpg
    Phillips RH544 orig.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Philips RH544 recap, 3,7uFhf.jpg
    Philips RH544 recap, 3,7uFhf.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Then it's a room propblem and not a speaker problem. For optimizing a speaker you need to take (quasi-)anechoic measurements. Your DEQ doesn't show you what you're interested in.

Thanks, thats enough for me... its nice sounding pair now :)
.. next pair of my older mfb 532 will be on test and recap for a while..
ps. have you any idea about tweeter region?

thats how RH532 looks like..
532 01.JPG

Last edited:
The DEQ is more for crude-but-useful response correction, and not very helpful for evaluating whether a speaker is functioning to spec. or not, unless something is very wrong. All it's really telling you here is that your room could use some help (speaker positioning / adding subs / bass traps) to smooth bass response. Especially the first one with the wide null around the important 50Hz range. Correcting that with EQ is undesireable. The treble looks fine, as far as we can tell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.