who can turn small LA Horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 04:02 AM   #1
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default who can turn small LA Horn

from solid wood i.e walnut? I'm looking into commissioning a pair of 650-1000Hz Le cleach 1" horn from Walnut (I would provide suitable slabs of material) It's not a priority project just wonder how much I need to set aside to get it done.
TIA, L
Old 24th October 2012, 04:58 AM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Not I (lathe? I wish!) but I'd just recommend- put solid terms in writing- what happens if the slab cracks, or the guy takes longer than you expected, etc. Saves heartache, shares risk, etc.
Old 24th October 2012, 05:55 AM   #3
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Large pieces of uncured wood may be soaked in a solution of polyethylene glycol 1000 to stabilize it. That requires time. It also takes the life out of the wood. It renders the nature of the wood into something less pleasing to look at. Just sayin', not recommending.

Getting it turned requires drawings first....Have you got the profile to work from? Then finding the turner who has a lathe large enough for the project. I may be at your service...

Gluing suitably sized pieces of dry (6-8% MC) is an option if your aesthetics allow. It would be quicker.

Is this what you want? If so, One would need to swing about 13" over the bed. The throat would need to be full section above the driver mount to maintain enough strength. Said another way: There would be no reduction in x-section as there is in the fiberglass rendering.

http://www.horns.pl/jmlc600.html

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 24th October 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:19 PM   #4
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, I was not precise because it's just preliminary market research The "slab" would be glued 2"-3" pieces of a ....well slabs. This shouldd prevent cracking but if it happens , that's the nature of wood and wood filler was invented for it. It would be 8 weeks kiln dried lumber to 7% of MC. Yes the drawing and cut profile would be provided (maybe even all the numbers for CNC from Volvotreter site). The driver would be crossed at 2-3Khz so the exact cut-off for the horn is still in question. I just wonder if somebody here is doing that and would be willing to get it done for reasonable money .

Last edited by limono; 24th October 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

sounds like it will be a difficult job
and really, for a 'consumer' things have changed quite a lot lately
Old 24th October 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
LJNorth is offline LJNorth  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I havent had any problems with cracking or splits on my waveguides, just use seasoned wood, using cross laminated pieces would probably reduce the risk further, remember to seal the pores afterwards and be sensible about wall thickness (i.e. not paper thin).

I really think filler would spoil a nice wood. As for the finish, I guess a CNC'd piece of wood will need plenty of sanding afterwards and a sanded finnish just isnt as good as a clean cut for bringing out the natural grain of timber, which is why cabinet makers use cabinet scrapers and not sand paper.

Laurence
Old 24th October 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

With your skills (and I know you got them) you should spend the money on a lath.

I have templates for the 2 we turned for George and Dan. I think they are 800hz and 1200hz. Tractrix not LA.

Hide this!Advertise here!