Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 03:15 AM   #1
tezza10 is offline tezza10  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Drive unit compatability

I am looking at building my first DIY speakers. Whilst I'm handy enough to design and construct the cabinets (using one of many online design sites), I've spent an eternity online trying to find compatible drive units that are of reasonable quality and affordable considering it's a first attempt! I am looking at a three way system using a 15" woofer (R909 clone) that I already have. This drive unit is rated at 250w RMS and 97dB with a decent flat response 50-2500Hz. I'm looking for a mid/mid woofer to cover duties from 300Hz to 3kHz, but finding one that is of similar sensitivity and power handling is proving dificult within my price range of $80 - 100 each (and finding somone willing to ship to New Zealand). I've had decent speakers for years (currently B&W804's) but am a complete newbie at this DIY stuff. I'm not aiming to build a pair of audiophile speakers - just a pair of big furniture speakers that are enjoyable to listen to at reasonably high volume playing rock - Cerwyn Vega style I guess?? All help would be much appreciated.
Old 24th October 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you bear in mind that for baffle step correction, the woofer needs a few dB more than the mid, that may embiggen your range of choice, perhaps something like this (but maybe slightly over budget): Essential Audio - Loudspeaker Kits, Hi-Fi Loudspeakers, Guitar, Bass & PA Loudspeakers! Eminence, Celestion, Jensen, Scan Speak, Vifa, Peerless, SB Acoustics, Fountek

Edit - I meant to point to the Eminence Alpha-6C, you'll find it there somewhere...

... actually, if you bi-amp, the sensitivity problem disappears...

another alternative, use a pair of mid drivers, in parallel will be 6dB above a single driver
(I'll give a plug for my current fave, SEAS CA18RLY, available in NZ from HAS audio)

Last edited by PeteMcK; 24th October 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
tezza10 is offline tezza10  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Driver Compatability

Awesome thanks for those links. Might look further into Eminence Alpha 6C as it does give more headroom for tweeter crossover. What will the VIFA NE25VTT-04 go like in this combination? For a first time build I really want to keep the crossovers as simple as possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!