Rebuilding Crossovers... A few questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am looking to rebuild the crossovers in my Technics SB6000a speakers, and have a few questions.

I have selected some electrolytics of the appropriate value. They are radial, and I had intended to just put them on the original PCB but I would like to bypass the caps with 0.1uf Vishay MKP1837's and am worried I may run out of space. Is it difficult to place bypass caps onto the electrolytics and fitting them on a PCB? Should I just make a new board and wire them point to point? I plan to replace all internal wiring as well with 12 ga stranded copper I have lying around. Thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
how much space do you have under the board? The MKP1837's aren't that big so as long as you have a clearance of 10mm or so you should be able to solder them directly to the tracks on the back of the board.

as xjr100 says replacing with film caps can be problematic, the reason being that low value electroytics have a high ESR compared to film caps. If this ESR is factored into the design of the crossover, then removing it can cause problems. The most likely of which is resonances which may cause repsonse anomalies.

Tony.

Thanks for the tips... I have space under the board to add the bypass caps. Would I just solder them on after I do caps, or all at once? As for the film cap route, I chose lytics so they'd fit on the board and be cheap... $20 i paid for them, got a year use of them,l and about $35 into caps.even that was alot but I was ordering some things and figured. If I was grabbing a few caps I mayaswell get a few other things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.