Rebuilding Crossovers... A few questions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Rebuilding Crossovers... A few questions.

Hello, I am looking to rebuild the crossovers in my Technics SB6000a speakers, and have a few questions.

I have selected some electrolytics of the appropriate value. They are radial, and I had intended to just put them on the original PCB but I would like to bypass the caps with 0.1uf Vishay MKP1837's and am worried I may run out of space. Is it difficult to place bypass caps onto the electrolytics and fitting them on a PCB? Should I just make a new board and wire them point to point? I plan to replace all internal wiring as well with 12 ga stranded copper I have lying around. Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Might it not be simpler to simply use some film and foil caps replacing the Electrolytics entirely ?
Old 24th October 2012, 08:10 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree, any cap less than about 10u is better replaced entirely. It gets expensive above that. Layout is not that important as long as you keep the coils away from each other and if possible, in different planes.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortron View Post
Should I just make a new board
That's good idea.
Good thing is to measure your speakers before you do some changes.
Due to the age response can be different from original.

Be carefull with replacing electrolytics to MKP, as you can affect the sound: it can be better or worse. Listen both versions - with upgraded electrolytics and with MKP.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
just another
diyAudio Moderator

how much space do you have under the board? The MKP1837's aren't that big so as long as you have a clearance of 10mm or so you should be able to solder them directly to the tracks on the back of the board.

as xjr100 says replacing with film caps can be problematic, the reason being that low value electroytics have a high ESR compared to film caps. If this ESR is factored into the design of the crossover, then removing it can cause problems. The most likely of which is resonances which may cause repsonse anomalies.

Tony.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips... I have space under the board to add the bypass caps. Would I just solder them on after I do caps, or all at once? As for the film cap route, I chose lytics so they'd fit on the board and be cheap... $20 i paid for them, got a year use of them,l and about $35 into caps.even that was alot but I was ordering some things and figured. If I was grabbing a few caps I mayaswell get a few other things.

Hide this!Advertise here!