Need help for crossover building - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help for crossover building

Hi am new to the forum.

I need help to build a pair of passive 2 way crossover using the below drivers.

LF - RCF - L15 854k - Attached Specs
HF - P.Audio - Pre Neo 450N - Attached Specs
Horn - same as in Nexo Ps15

PreNeo-450N.pdf

nexo ps 15.JPG

rcf l15 854k.JPG

The cabinet design is a copy of NEXO PS15.

Since i don't know much about crossover frequency. I need help in building a crossover that is suitable and can the most out of these drives.

Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:02 PM   #2
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multisono View Post
Since i don't know much about crossover frequency. I need help in building a crossover that is suitable and can the most out of these drives.
multisono, I do not belive in "building crossovers without measuremets". The best way to you is obtain some measurement equipment (soundcard+mic+software) and do basic measurements of your drivers in cabinet.
Then export results here and people can assist you to build crossover.

From your side only measurements will be required, members can help with modelling the crossover.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Passive Crossover Network Design
Old 24th October 2012, 01:43 AM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As xjr100 said, you really need to measure; otherwise it's just an educated guess. Could be OK, but probably not great.

What is the speaker use? Home or professional?
Old 24th October 2012, 05:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Pano... The speakers are to be used for Professional - Mainly Mobile Sound system powered by YAMAHA power amp - P7000s.

Felt sorry but may i know what type of measurements needed.. or any Tips here on the Forum regarding the HOW TO Do the measurements?

thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

For acoustic measurements you'll need a measurement mic (and maybe power supply), a soundcard and some free software. For impedance measurements you can buy a device, or do it by hand with a volt meter.

A crossover for this type of speaker is not easy to design well. You probably did not realize how big a task you have requested! Without measurements, we can get you something that will work, but may not be optimum.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Is it time to think about an active XO and another amp?
Old 7th November 2012, 03:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi i only needs to know the crossover design and components value needed for the speakers to do some tests. Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

to work out the component values, first you need impedance plots of the drivers - you need to find the actual impedance of the drivers at your crossover frequency. If you can't measure, you may be able to find them on the manufacturer's web site.
Then, you need to choose a crossover frequency. Looking at Frequency response plots is the best place to start. Once again, if you can't measure, look at the manufacturers site.
If you can post links to the impedance & freq response charts, then we will be able to help with the next step, choosing crossover freq & order.

Hide this!Advertise here!