Best driver placement for 4 drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to work out the best placement for four identical drivers (ScanSpeak 18WU-4741 wired in series and parallel), trying to work out if in a square pattern in preferable over four in a line or vice versa.

Obviously four in a square take up less height and probably easier to wire up, but will the drivers being side by side cause any issues?

Also can anyone tell me how much gain I would get in that wiring configuration.

The beam pattern will vary. In line will bring down the vertical dispersion, aka line source. Multi drivers always cause beaming and lobbing issues. The short answer is to prototype and see which works best for you in your room.

Yeah not too hard really to make a baffle for each combo and try it out.

Einric check it out.... http://www.tolvan.com/edge/help.htm

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
All other considerations aside there is something massively imposing and impressive about stacking vertically.

I did think that there was a technical reason for keeping to a maximum of 2 co-incident drivers tho, and this is why WW MTM WW layouts are so common when using quads of woofers

You can cheat a little bit by staggering them. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 90
All other considerations aside there is something massively imposing and impressive about stacking vertically.

I did think that there was a technical reason for keeping to a maximum of 2 co-incident drivers tho, and this is why WW MTM WW layouts are so common when using quads of woofers

I had contemplated that... with putting only two mid woofer drivers below the mids and two above, it allows a fairly comfortable fit below, and allows the tweeter to be placed optimally at ear height.

You can cheat a little bit by staggering them. :)

That did cross my mind as I was trying to get off to sleep, I had a quick 2 second look at the 4 drivers placed in a square in Edge last night, and it popped into my head that perhaps it would be interesting to see if offsetting them like in your picture might help flatten the graph.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
WW -MTM- WW is how I have ( in my head ) the design of my own big open baffle project, trouble is I do not have a room or hall big enough to actually use my design in and my planned OB also needed subs below 40-60 Hz anyway as the big Jaycar paper coned woofers only have 3.5mm of excursion before reaching mechanical limits ( these are the 12 inch DFR'd woofers - I have a dozen waiting to be used ) they went to $29.99 each so I bought all I could at that price

I think I would need to do something like MW MW TW M M MW MW because of the shape of the tweeter, and do the woofer separate.
Due to the amount of drivers I am using I have kind of resigned myself to using two boxes per side to house them all.
Another option I could put all 4 mid woofers together and put the mid / tweeters on top of the woofer.

Attachments

• IMAG1097.jpg
    IMAG1097.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 51
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.