Anyone used 0.01uf caps in passive crossovers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks. 0.1uF makes sense, you should just be able to hear that on a tweeter, but 0.01uF strains the imagination - even on an electrolytic.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I have also seen commercial speakers with metal tweeters where a 50 ohm 1 watt metal film is shunted across the tweeter. This realy ought to do nothing, but it will stop the speaker impedance going very high at ultrasonic frequency, so might help amp stability.
Nope- that's not the purpose at all. When you take into account the varying impedance of the tweeter against that 50 ohm resistor, all of the measurement points across the Z plot get paralleled with the 50 ohms.

My guess for this resistor usage, as I've done it for this purpose, is to minimize the effective Fs magnitude as it should do. 50 in parallel with a 25 ohm Zmax nets a new Zmax just below 17 ohms, but 50||4 = 3.7 ohms; or a minimal change.

Back to the topic...
Wolf
Old 24th October 2012, 08:06 PM   #13
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_the_hifi View Post
Cheers chaps... Well, still listening so I'll report back on the decision.

I feel it's got something to do with speed, things seem to sound that little bit clearer/quicker/airier. Does this make sense?

Easy to say (as I've done it) that there is no difference because I feel it's more apparent on certain recordings.
"Speed" One of those words used by people who have not had the time to understand how speakers work. No, the caps have nothing to do with "speed". They have to do with value, ESR, DF and non-linear distortion. Basically, improving all three.
Old 10th March 2017, 12:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Thanks. 0.1uF makes sense, you should just be able to hear that on a tweeter, but 0.01uF strains the imagination - even on an electrolytic.
i recently acquired some Vishay 10nF MKP caps from Parts Connexion. After running a couple of WT2 ESR vs Freq. scans, it quickly became apparent why even a cap with that low a uF value can function as a bypass cap. Examine the data column heading labeled R-real. Those are the ESR values.

Going from 10 hz to 20 kHz ESR declines from a few thousand ohms (@13 hz) and starts to decline significantly at 100 hz and decline below 10 ohms at 400 hz and by about 2 kHz has fallen below 1 ohm and settles down in the mohm range (about the same values as a NPE cap) the rest of the way to 20 kHz.

For me, the interpretation of this data points to the bypass caps ability to pass a signal in the HF range and thus supplement the output of the main tweeter's cap.

Initial listening tests with my 'control' music selections indicates the finding above is true. I'm in the process now of breaking in the new Vishay caps bypassed in my Intimates speakers with some pink noise for many hours.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2017-03-07 15.40.11.png (116.2 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by speakerdoctor; 10th March 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10th March 2017, 04:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have tried 0.1 across larger Clarity MR caps and they really enhanced low level detail.

However across the smaller values MR it did change the FR but not the detail. It was definitely due to pure uF changes.

As a rule of thumb, I try to bypass with around 1% of the cap's value. Maybe a little more. In some cases, such as trying to build a larger cap it may be worthwhile to use a larger cap.

I should also point out that YMMV. Even among the same brand/line, smaller caps (< 4uF) may benefit not at all from bypassing, while larger caps definitely will. So having a good ear, skeptical but open mind is key to finding this for yourself.

Best,

E
Old 10th March 2017, 06:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

My bypass application involves a 4.7 uF CC MR cap.
Old 10th March 2017, 07:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey SD! I think you were the one who turned me onto Audyn TC as good bypass caps.

I tried bypassing on a 3rd order high pass crossover. As usual, the 2nd cap is about 3x larger than the first.

I've tried bypassing the smaller cap with both Audyn TC and Duelund silver foil caps. 0.1 and 0.047uF respectively.

The Audyn did change the sound, but it seemed to be more of a tonal balance change than microdynamics. The 0.047uF cap had no difference.

On the other hand, bypassing the larger cap made a very big improvement to my ears.

This HP section is feeding a Mundorf AMT.

Best,

E
Old 10th March 2017, 07:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Hey SD! I think you were the one who turned me onto Audyn TC as good bypass caps.

I tried bypassing on a 3rd order high pass crossover. As usual, the 2nd cap is about 3x larger than the first.

I've tried bypassing the smaller cap with both Audyn TC and Duelund silver foil caps. 0.1 and 0.047uF respectively.

The Audyn did change the sound, but it seemed to be more of a tonal balance change than microdynamics. The 0.047uF cap had no difference.

On the other hand, bypassing the larger cap made a very big improvement to my ears.

Best,

E
The Intimates HP section is also a Mundorf AMT.
Old 10th March 2017, 07:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post

Best,

E
I plan to run some additional WT2 tests on some of my spare low uF caps. Will let you know what affect they have on ESR. I know for sure I have some 0.1's.
Old 10th March 2017, 08:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have CMR caps sitting on my desk, waiting for me to feel well enough to risk putting a hot solder iron in my hands.

The one person I know who has upgraded raved. If they are at least not in need of bypassing, that will be better!

Best,

E

Hide this!Advertise here!