Anyone used 0.01uf caps in passive crossovers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 02:18 AM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks. 0.1uF makes sense, you should just be able to hear that on a tweeter, but 0.01uF strains the imagination - even on an electrolytic.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I have also seen commercial speakers with metal tweeters where a 50 ohm 1 watt metal film is shunted across the tweeter. This realy ought to do nothing, but it will stop the speaker impedance going very high at ultrasonic frequency, so might help amp stability.
Nope- that's not the purpose at all. When you take into account the varying impedance of the tweeter against that 50 ohm resistor, all of the measurement points across the Z plot get paralleled with the 50 ohms.

My guess for this resistor usage, as I've done it for this purpose, is to minimize the effective Fs magnitude as it should do. 50 in parallel with a 25 ohm Zmax nets a new Zmax just below 17 ohms, but 50||4 = 3.7 ohms; or a minimal change.

Back to the topic...
Wolf
Old 24th October 2012, 08:06 PM   #13
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_the_hifi View Post
Cheers chaps... Well, still listening so I'll report back on the decision.

I feel it's got something to do with speed, things seem to sound that little bit clearer/quicker/airier. Does this make sense?

Easy to say (as I've done it) that there is no difference because I feel it's more apparent on certain recordings.
"Speed" One of those words used by people who have not had the time to understand how speakers work. No, the caps have nothing to do with "speed". They have to do with value, ESR, DF and non-linear distortion. Basically, improving all three.

Hide this!Advertise here!