3-way with big (10") woofer and monitor (6.5"+1") on top like "Tarkus" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
proxii is offline proxii  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default 3-way with big (10") woofer and monitor (6.5"+1") on top like "Tarkus"

Well, like the title...
In about two months I'll be building my final system, or at least for now. Until now I was never able to make something big-ish, but finally I'm allowed to do so.

My room is still small, and the speakers can only be placed ~30cm from the back and side walls. Listening distance is around 350cm.

Anyway, I have always been font of a big 3-way where the (10") woofer is in a separate cabinet.

This design is exactly what I'm talking about:
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

Click the image to open in full size.

But reading the description, the sound might not be exactly suitable for my taste. I'm really font of vocals, male or female... Yes, I also like some punchy dub-step or electro, but smooth jazz and singer songwriter are genres that I play a lot.

Are there any more designs out there similar to this? It's possible for me to design something new too, I have a friend with proper measuring equipment who can help me with the crossover and such.

Price wise the Tarkus is exactly what I'm after. An Impressive, dynamic system that has a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Jasper
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:41 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxii View Post
Are there any more designs out there similar to this? It's possible for me to design something new too, I have a friend with proper measuring equipment who can help me with the crossover and such.
looks good, crossover looks ok
driver ....maybe a bit 'outdated'

cloning it with SB drivers ought to be fairly easy, with some knowledge, and still be affordable
regarding box design, I wouldn't change much
but I would prefer top and bottom to have equal width
fancy design with odd shapes tend to annoy me
but in general, I like it, looks cool, and well designed all way through
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am doing something like this but with miniDSP 8x2 and separate amplification. Also the speakers are a different shape, but the same general idea.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But reading the description, the sound might not be exactly suitable for my taste. I'm really font of vocals, male or female... Yes, I also like some punchy dub-step or electro, but smooth jazz and singer songwriter are genres that I play a lot.

The MBOW1 3-way is one that comes to mind. Another is the JCW 3-way.

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 22nd October 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
looks good, crossover looks ok
driver ....maybe a bit 'outdated'

cloning it with SB drivers ought to be fairly easy, with some knowledge, and still be affordable
regarding box design, I wouldn't change much
but I would prefer top and bottom to have equal width
fancy design with odd shapes tend to annoy me
but in general, I like it, looks cool, and well designed all way through
Hmm I'm liking the idea of trying to clone it with SB drivers.. They are easily available in my country and the price is not that much higher. Because of their aluminium cones, they might sound a bit more punchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron7 View Post
I am doing something like this but with miniDSP 8x2 and separate amplification. Also the speakers are a different shape, but the same general idea.
Very nice, a bit too difficult and pricey for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
The MBOW1 3-way is one that comes to mind. Another is the JCW 3-way.
Very nice designs, but the units are slightly more exotic (and less easy to get in my Country) and thus quite expensive.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Because of their aluminium cones, they might sound a bit more punchy?
in general not alu
but there are indeed two new 10" with alu cone

tho I would consider 12" and 4"
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Juicie is offline Juicie  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The Vota 2 from Intertechnik/LautsprecherBau may be a nice option. It only uses a 8 inch woofer but a nice ribbon tweeter:

Click the image to open in full size.

But very priceworthy at 188 Euro a piece.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:57 AM   #8

well, dont know if I should mention this, but since you are asking for options, I choose to do so

right now Im thinking about a 2.5way with SB drivers, 8"/6" and tweeter
the trick is that the 8" have low Fs and high Qts giving ok low bass in closed box
the next and important trick is that the 6" have similar low Fs, and only moderately higher rolloff in much smaller closed box
I expect it work ok
tweeter could be ordinary dome
or if you want it crossed lower, itcould be a CD in a small horn, driven active with small chip amp having its own active xo
woofers both with passive xo
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
in general not alu
but there are indeed two new 10" with alu cone

tho I would consider 12" and 4"
Hmm, 12" is a little bit too wide for my taste to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicie View Post
The Vota 2 from Intertechnik/LautsprecherBau may be a nice option. It only uses a 8 inch woofer but a nice ribbon tweeter:
But very priceworthy at 188 Euro a piece.
Wow! I thought I saw Seas Excel units so I figured this would be very expensive... Looks very, VERY nice, and great to see it as a surround system too; That's what's my goal.

Quote:
well, dont know if I should mention this, but since you are asking for options, I choose to do so

right now Im thinking about a 2.5way with SB drivers, 8"/6" and tweeter
the trick is that the 8" have low Fs and high Qts giving ok low bass in closed box
the next and important trick is that the 6" have similar low Fs, and only moderately higher rolloff in much smaller closed box
I expect it work ok
tweeter could be ordinary dome
or if you want it crossed lower, itcould be a CD in a small horn, driven active with small chip amp having its own active xo
woofers both with passive xo
Thanks, every option and opinion welcome! Seems like I've still got a lot to think about.

Last edited by proxii; 23rd October 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 24th October 2012, 01:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Vocal Jazz sounds very good on my recently completed 2-way, SEAS CA18RLY + 22TFF, if you want more bass occasionally ( & who doesn't... ) you could add your 10"ers as .5 way helpers/subs, if biamped, it's just a matter of turning the 2nd amp on...

Hide this!Advertise here!