Westlake BBSM6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi im sure you guys have heard it all before...
I have a pair of the old Westlake Audio BBSM6 studio monitors that need replacement drivers.
I would love to source and repair/replace and have spares for all.
and maybe even recap crossover.

I seem to recall them using AUDAX\Polydax and SEAS drivers

Tw025 tweeters
i see 2 types here

A0
A2

The Madisound Speaker Store
not to sure which one to use.

audax MHD12 for the mid???
I have only one..original owner never had both.. i can re-foam this driver but need to find a duplicate or a fresh pair..

Seas bass driver unknown look like
P17RC/TV think maybe this is the driver?

[SIZE=+1]P21REX/DD (H596) [/SIZE]

Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

Im aware that some of the drivers are becoming rare...Im not into westlakes suggestion of shipping for service..
cost...$1000 round trip shipping
$1000 each for replacement mid range replacement and crossover hack.
total $3000
this is a very expensive fix..that im sure the knowledge on this site can remedy for a fraction of cost.
i have also heard from others that the westlake mod does not sound as good as the originals..

can anyone suggest a plan..
the real replacement serial numbers
source for spares
and if the mid range are no where to be found, a mid driver that falls in as a very close match.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• audax pr170m0.jpg
    audax pr170m0.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 447
I have to withdraw my proposal of the Faital Pro 3FE20. Two independent reviews in german loudspeaker magazines show 3 dB less sensitivity below 1 kHz than the manufacturer claims!

The Audax PR170MO is completely different from the MHD12 and requires certainly a new crossover.

I checked my driver database for 4" drivers having 8 Ohm and a SPL around 91 dB. No results except the Fostex FF125 and FE126. But both have a perturbance at 1.5 kHz and a peak around 6 kHz, while the MHD12 had a flat response with a nice roll-off. It's a pity that this kind of driver doesn't exisit anymore!

Westlake BBSM6 units

Hi StudioPaul,

Stumbling upon your quest for BBSM-6 units.

I happen to own a complete set of units and filter as well, from the OLD BBSM-6.

The only thing I don't have is the enclosures.

Are you still looking for units? Or are you maybe willing to sell your enclosures?

I live in the Netherlands but maybe we can figure something out.

Regards,

Leon

bbsm6 schems crossover

HI from brazil!

I'm a big fan and owner of some BBSM10s, but yesterday, i've found a old pair of BBSM6s and bought it, in not working conditions... we've checked already and theres a lot of strange components inside the speakers... some crossovers are not working properly... can you, send me those schematics, so we can put it the right way working?

serial number: 1539 - 1540

thanks a lot

Andre Kbelo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.