NaO Note II RS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2012, 02:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NaO Note II RS

I had not planed on "showing" this new version of the NaO Note just yet, but with the up coming release of the Linkwitz LX521 I thought I should get it out there. It still has to be finalized, which will come some time this winter. There is just more to do in the spring, summer and fall other than to work on speakers.

Please see my NEWS web page or a brief look at some details about the speaker.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, and I reckon SL will be using LR4 paradigm again as well in analog.

For your vertical driver spacing and crossover, what is the vertical off axis behavior?

Andrew
Old 21st October 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Yes, and I reckon SL will be using LR4 paradigm again as well in analog.

For your vertical driver spacing and crossover, what is the vertical off axis behavior?

Andrew
The baffle layout is not fixed yet. The history goes like this. The Note II had two objectives: 1) replace the dual lower 18cm mids of the original note with a single 22cm mid (ScanSpeak Discovery 22w), and 2) improve the dispersion of the tweeter, both vertically and horizontally. The intent regarding the later was to retain the Neo 3 tweeter behind a circular wave guide (which is what the baffle was cut for). That worked fairly well, except the reduced radiating area resulted in a reduction is sensitivity form the Neo3 which was unacceptable. This prompted the use of the 3/4" dome. However, what you see in the prototype is the baffle cut for the Neo 3 with the 3/4" dome inserted. The tweeter appears to be excessively separated from the upper mid because the position of the wave guide was dictated by the dimensions of the Neo 3. The baffle be needs to be re-cut with the tweeter spacing reduced. Additionally, I my play around with the crossover between upper mid and tweeter since lowering the x-o point would further improve vertical dispersion. Additionally, I may try a higher order LR between upper mid and tweeter to further mitigate the vertical lobing. If that can be done without degrading the horizontal response, that is what will be done. So, I can not answer your question at this time. As I noted, I did not plan on presenting the speaker at this time but I felt prompted to do so with the upcoming release of Linkwitz's LX521.
Old 21st October 2012, 04:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

John,

Thanks for the quick details.

I think I can already hear the murmurings of the Orionphites.......

Andrew
Old 21st October 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's another picture from the rear of the new Linkwitz design: click.

Looks like the Linkwitz design uses L26RO4Y, CA22RNX, FU10RB and 27TFFNC/G as a driver complement.

Last edited by a_tewinkel; 21st October 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 21st October 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
John,

Thanks for the quick details.

I think I can already hear the murmurings of the Orionphites.......

Andrew
Well that's ok. After all the Note has been around for two years, not to mention all the additional and well executed DIY efforts to achieve dipole response to higher frequency. The chronology is set. There is no ground breaking there.
Old 21st October 2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know much....but the larger mid driver is not a CA22RNX. Both midrange drivers are special versions of existing Seas drivers that are not yet available.

The system is 4-way...3-way active...with a passive network between the two midrange drivers. I'm not sure of all the crossover slopes, but I do know they are not all LR4.

For those of you in the SF bay area, the system will be demo'd at the Burning Amp on October 28th.

We Orionphites will no doubt be orgasming uncontrollably in a few days.

Sorry to jack the thread.

Dave.
Old 21st October 2012, 06:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
I don't know much....but the larger mid driver is not a CA22RNX. Both midrange drivers are special versions of existing Seas drivers that are not yet available.

The system is 4-way...3-way active...with a passive network between the two midrange drivers. I'm not sure of all the crossover slopes, but I do know they are not all LR4.

For those of you in the SF bay area, the system will be demo'd at the Burning Amp on October 28th.

We Orionphites will no doubt be orgasming uncontrollably in a few days.

Sorry to jack the thread.

Dave.

More than happy to see info about the LX521. Feel free to post here if you like. But a hybrid design with passive x-o between upper mid and tweeter? SL is making progress. (intended as a light hearted comment.)
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi JohnK .... and any other NEO3 dipole tweeter users,

To your ears, what sounds better as a dipole tweeter: the NEO3 or a back-to-back pair of 0.75" domes?
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Hi JohnK .... and any other NEO3 dipole tweeter users,

To your ears, what sounds better as a dipole tweeter: the NEO3 or a back-to-back pair of 0.75" domes?
Hard to answer that in my applications. The dome in the wave guide has soemwhat better control over directionality and is more extended. I don't know if tha equates to sounding better. Neither tweeter is being pushed very hard in my cases.

Hide this!Advertise here!