NaO Note II RS

Yes it was a set built for a friend of his using the same mid (Neo10) in the same type cabinet, with a clone on his crossover. Woofers were different but had no impact on the top end detail, the Heil were just more detailed and life like than the Neo3s.

The Ravens I heard a few weeks before that in a set of Nola baby grands, and the RAAL 140-15D AM I have heard in my own system (both dipole and monopoles).

John - please dont tell me you are intending to upgrade the Neo 3 on Nao Note to Raal - argh!!! Must rebuild the whole baffle and modify the active and passive crossover ...

No, never. The Note and the Note II RS are done deals. There is no way on the planet I would ever design a speaker around a $700 driver, be it a woofer, mid or tweeter. I don't, and I don't expect people who build my speakers to have dollars to throw at such things. If I was interested in going that route why would I design the Note II RS to come in at a price for the completed system which is less than a pair of RAAL 140-15Ds?

The only thing I have interest in is looking into ways to improved the NaO II while reducing its cost. With excel T25 at $263 and the 27TDFC at $50 for a total of $313 it makes sense to look at the Aurum Cantus at $200 to save a couple of hundred dollars per pair of speakers. There are a couple of other tweeters I'm looking at as well.

The only thing I have interest in is looking into ways to improved the NaO II while reducing its cost. With excel T25 at $263 and the 27TDFC at $50 for a total of $313 it makes sense to look at the Aurum Cantus at $200 to save a couple of hundred dollars per pair of speakers. There are a couple of other tweeters I'm looking at as well.
Obviously SL agrees . . . see the LX521. It is lunacy to spend big bucks over 6kHz . . . there are plenty of $20 domes that do just fine (or you can drop $40 for a "name brand"). The "expensive" tweeters are justified *only* for low frequency extension . . . and thus not even worth considering for a 4-way dipole.

Obviously SL agrees . . . see the LX521. It is lunacy to spend big bucks over 6kHz . . . there are plenty of $20 domes that do just fine (or you can drop $40 for a "name brand"). The "expensive" tweeters are justified *only* for low frequency extension . . . and thus not even worth considering for a 4-way dipole.

I disagree that it is lunacy to spend big bucks on over 6kHz, as great sound is always worth the money, but I do agree that it would be highly impractical for John to include it in this current build, as he is looking for bang for buck, and the RAAL is never going to fit that bucket.

Hi John,
How do you feel about a dipole full range line array, on a really thin 4" flat OB, with about ten or more 3" FR drivers on one side, equalised flat to 80-100Hz and high passed 80-100Hz, with separate dipole active bass unit. It could offer all the polar benefits of a dipole radiation upto a very high frequency , in addition to no crossovers in the critical range. :)

This could very well be a 2 way active design with huge cost savings in amplification channels and half as many channels needed for DSP.:eek:

Last edited:
Hi John,
How do you feel about a dipole full range line array, on a really thin 4" flat OB, with about ten or more 3" FR drivers on one side, equalised flat to 80-100Hz and high passed 80-100Hz, with separate dipole active bass unit. It could offer all the polar benefits of a dipole radiation upto a very high frequency , in addition to no crossovers in the critical range. :)

This could very well be a 2 way active design with huge cost savings in amplification channels and half as many channels needed for DSP.:eek:

Line sources really aren't my cup of tea.

You would need 75 drivers at 3" with 2.5mm xmax to reach 99db at 80Hz
That's 6db down LR alignment, which will give you 105db reference level.
You will need very high ceilings. About 30ft.

(I know you are thinking about those vifa's)
:D

Remember that for a line source you can not figure the SPL as you would a point source, and the SPL vs distance is 1/r vs 1/r^2 for a point source. Take a look at radiation from a cylinder for an approximation.

That certainly looks VERY much more doable. Still low enough to be not crossing in the critical vocal range and low enough to cross before the peak of typical H-frame of 200 Hz.

Thanks a lot for doing the excursion calculations. Which calculator are you using if I may ask :)

It's low enough. The bell telephone frequency starts at 300Hz.
Anyway, I don't think there is a problem with crossing over at any frequency, it's the reflections from lobing at the crossover that bothers listeners. People get so hung up on keeping the crossover out of the vocal range. I don't hear any ill effects as long as the crossover maintains a great vertical polar response and there is no phase or group delay issues.
As far as an H frame, just make it shallower and give up a little extension. Dipoles can't get down that low in rooms anyway......40hz is about it in most rooms.

Here is the calculator.
http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi John,

This is probably FAQ #542, but given the significant savings of the NaO Note IIRS over the NaO II, can you recommend any budget amplifiers for the NaO Note II RS?

I finally upgraded from my very good but hum-and-buzz (own DIY fault) Rod Elliot P3A amplifiers to excellent but not extravagent commercial amplifiers for my NaO II, but have you any experience with any single-box 8 channel amplifiers ?

regards,
Thanh

Hi John,

This is probably FAQ #542, but given the significant savings of the NaO Note IIRS over the NaO II, can you recommend any budget amplifiers for the NaO Note II RS?

I finally upgraded from my very good but hum-and-buzz (own DIY fault) Rod Elliot P3A amplifiers to excellent but not extravagent commercial amplifiers for my NaO II, but have you any experience with any single-box 8 channel amplifiers ?

regards,
Thanh

I'm not big into experimenting with amps. I'm using a pair of Adcom 7605 amp for the moment. They are rated at 125/8, 175/4 and robust enough to driver a pair of XLS or XXLS woofer connected in parallel. Another less expensive option might be the Class D Audio amps. I have a couple of CDA 254L kits that I bought a while ago to build a pair of stereo amps. They are $225 each and include a power supply and transformer that is supposed to be able to drive 4 channels. I plan of getting another pair of the CDA 254 boards ($145 each) and making those amp 4 channels each. They are rated at 125/8, 250/4.

*** can you recommend any budget amplifiers for the NaO Note II RS?***

What about an inexpensive 6-channel amp (there are lots of "whole room audio" amps of sufficient power for this task out there used, as well as new) for the tops, and a bigger separate 2-channel amp for the woofers?

I'd be tempted to use one of the newer Class D "pro" amps for the woofers, such as the Crest ProLite 2.0 or Crown XLS1500.