NaO Note II RS

OK to throw away bits? Hmm...
Those "throwaway bits" are empty . . . useful only as "processing space". You're not going to find signal anywhere with noise much (if any) more than 16 bits below peak signal . . . we may wish for noise-free microphones and pre-amps, but they don't exist. So with 24 bit transport (and higher bit depth for internal processing) you can always "gain adjust" down by 2,3 or 4 bits and not lose anything at all (if the source has been adjusted to put peak signal at 0dBFS, which all commercial offerings have).

If you are going to apply boost in the digital processing (dipole compensation, for example) you always drop input signal first to allow the necessary headroom to avoid clipping . . . all your outputs will then retain "normalized" levels. If you're then feeding speakers it's always best to normalize amp/driver sensitivity . . . it avoids all sorts of potential problems and makes troubleshooting much easier.

Hi John, will the cost include plans for the first version. For example, those with Neo3s or only six channels of amplification may wish to mix and match drivers/passive-active xovers, so as to keep build costs/complexities down where possible.

No. The original Note is still available as a hybrid with either active analog or digital woofer to panel crossover. The RS side panels/grill could be added to the original Note if desired.

You could use any drivers you like and design your own system. I've already been asked if the speaker could be adapted to the SS 8554. Since I have them on hand I indicated I would be glad to make the adaptation.

That would be me. I had 8554s left over from the original Phoenix project. John was gracious enough to offer to adapt the RS to these drivers. Needless to say I've already ordered the the plans.

???

NaO Note II RS plans are now available.

Quote from your site :

"Summary of the revised NaO Note II RS:

Format: 4-way, fully active speaker.

Woofer system: Two Peerless SLS 830668 coated paper cone woofers per speaker in a damped U-frame quasi-cardioid format."

So which is it? Damped U frame (cardioid) or H (N) frame (dipole)? Or do you have plans for both ?

???

NaO Note II RS plans are now available.

Quote from your site :

Woofer system: Two Peerless SLS 830668 coated paper cone woofers per speaker in a damped U-frame quasi-cardioid format."

So which is it? Damped U frame (cardioid) or H (N) frame (dipole)? Or do you have plans for both ?

Check out what I have sitting in my living room!

DSC_3430.jpg

Much excitements ahead :)

Quote from your site :

It's a dipole. I must have missed on place where I still referred to the u-frame. Will correct. Thanks for noting it.

[edit] corrected.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that you were contemplating a change back to the u frame. What was your conclusion?

I was, for a while. I was not satisfied with the performance of the dipole woofers. Then I loaded the XXLS woofer in the N-frame dipole and they performed as expected. So I took another look at the SLS N-frame dipole and found it came down to a couple of bi-quad coefficients which some how got corrupted when I loaded them into the miniDSP. Once corrected things worked out as I had anticipated. So N-framer dipole it is.

That makes sense really. Looking at the passive xo I would reckon it's one expensive bit !

These are not mine so I could not integrate it with my subs due to the lack of xml file. So I had been listening panel only. I will figure out a way.

if you have a minidsp you could put it before my active crossover for the Note. Make one output of the minidsp a pass through just to get the miniDSP delay and use that as the input to my active crossover.Then use the panel out for my active crossover to driver the Note panel amp. Use the second output of the miniDSP to configure the woofer system and drive the woofer amp directly off the miniDSP. The woofer should have an LR4 acoustic LP at 120 Hz.