NaO Note II RS - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 10:50 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratislav View Post
... or you can always try and shoehorn two SLS 12's. More Sd, more efficient, lower Fs, only extra 20 bucks. Would easily cover missing 3dB, and more.
Great design!
As always, I must add...
It would not be possible to get 12" woofers in the enclosure without making it taller (not a real problem) and wider (problem if I want to keep the design as is). I have four 12" SLS woofers so don't think I didn't consider them. The side panels could be cut at the base of the baffle and mounted on a bridge spaning the wider woofer cabinet, but then it get bulky. And it would net only 3.5 dB greater max SPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
John,

I've sent an email with a sketchup file to you (music and design email account). After a few tries yahoo registered it as being sent.

Try not to laugh to hard at the result.
Thanks Scott. It's an interesting concept. A little too modern for me. Plus, the curved grill would make stretching cloth over it a bit difficult.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:08 AM   #82
Banned

Quote:
John,

I've sent an email with a sketchup file to you (music and design email account). After a few tries yahoo registered it as being sent.

Try not to laugh to hard at the result..
Wanna see!
Old 14th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #83
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Wanna see!
Are you sure? It's just a basic model.. The stipulation is that you not share/distribute it - if yes then PM (forum mail) me with your email contact and I'll send it to you.
Old 14th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post

Thanks Scott. It's an interesting concept. A little too modern for me. Plus, the curved grill would make stretching cloth over it a bit difficult.
Your welcome!

I can understand not liking the design. (..a bit of "tacking" can accommodate the grill cloth - it wasn't designed as a "removable" design.)
Old 14th November 2012, 08:10 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your welcome!

I can understand not liking the design. (..a bit of "tacking" can accommodate the grill cloth - it wasn't designed as a "removable" design.)
My point about the grill cloth is that while it could be tensioned vertically any side to side tension would flatten the ark. There would have to be some kind of support behind the cloth, like perforated metal, to maintain the curvature when the cloth was stretched.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:27 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My point about the grill cloth is that while it could be tensioned vertically any side to side tension would flatten the ark. There would have to be some kind of support behind the cloth, like perforated metal, to maintain the curvature when the cloth was stretched.
Yes, "caving" can be a problem - especially for a longer run like the front (..the more pliable the material, the worse the problem). However certain starching products (fabric stiffener) can "get around this" ..but the result depends on the fabric (and the "stiffener").

Another possibility is layered vertical strips like a vertical blind curtain. If the strips are shear enough it might make for an interesting solution. (..it's interesting enough that I might alter the model to include this to get an idea of the result.)

I should also note that the curved portions are just one aesthetic choice (that I preferred) - you could always go back to a panel-like box shape. Just make sure to get the proportions "right" and make it symmetrical with the rear.

Last edited by ScottG; 14th November 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:10 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

I just looked through listings on fine wire mesh that could be used as a support base.. not cheap at about $5 a sq. foot.

Still, a synthetic organza + starch should perform similarly.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:40 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just looked through listings on fine wire mesh that could be used as a support base.. not cheap at about $5 a sq. foot.

Still, a synthetic organza + starch should perform similarly.
This is where I'm at. The camera flash reveals the grill frame.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:08 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've posted some updates. After experimenting with the system I decided to keep the tweeter x-o at 6k.
Have you made up your mind about rear firing tweeter at that frequency?

In my experience at 2.5khz the rear tweeter is only marginally needed. At 6khz hopefully it's not needed anymore ?
Old 14th November 2012, 11:13 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is where I'm at. The camera flash reveals the grill frame.

Click the image to open in full size.
Obviously we have rather different aesthetic preferences.. BUT that's a better picture (showing the intended result to better effect IMO).

Note: I *like* the reveal. It gives depth to the design. At once you can see a monolithic view while also seeing the technology behind it - sort of like a fine watch with part of the mechanics shown.

Suggestion: put your best "pic" forward on your website; i.e. replace the open view version with this new pic.

(..I'd at least get a metallic paint finish for the sub box in the rear (that's currently red) to match the mesh in front though. )

Did you know that Madisound has a metallic fabric they are selling for "grill" cloth? (..not a lot of help structurally, but still interesting):

The Madisound Speaker Store

Last edited by ScottG; 14th November 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!