Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 07:03 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Yes . . . John did invite that comparison, didn't he . . .

but until there is a NAO Note II it is inevitable that much of the "talk" will be about the LX521 (which is the new "standard" to which others, including the older ORION, will be compared).
Yes I did and I have no objection to any comments or comparisons.

Well, there is a Note II sitting in my room. It is unlikely that anyone else will hear it unless they choose to build there own. I'm not inclined to go to audio shows to demo my speakers. I don't have any interest in that. It's noting but hype, spin and spam. I'm not part of the audio main stream and have no aspirations to be so. Speaker building is not so much a passion for me but a diversion from the winter. That is why the Note II has been in arrested development since last spring. Frankly, and I think I mentioned this before, it probably would have remained so had SL not introduced the LX521. But with that introduction I wasn't going to sit on my hands for another 3 to 6 mounts and have the usual suspects start making accusations of copying SL's design. No, the Note came first and the revision has been in the works almost since the introduction of the Note, 2 years ago. It amazes me how similar the Note II and the LX521 are since they were developed independently. SL's baffle may be considered to exhibit a more "artistic" flare while the Note II obviously follows the path laid down in the original Note. Along the path SL may have zigged where I sagged, but that is what makes things interesting.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:48 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
Every time John K and SL are mentioned in the same thread, it ends up with John K telling us why SL's designs aren't as good as his. This "rivalry" goes back a long long long time and is a one sided affair at that.
Would it make sense for him to explain why his designs are not as good as SL's? No, of course not. So as long as he makes valid points, there's no problem, is there? People are then free to decide which design they prefer.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:01 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Added some discussion of the vertical polar response for the upper mid/tweeter crossover to my News page.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:28 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
I've added something that should help see this.
Thanks. Definitely looks very good, my Neo3W still had some slight blooming around 7 kHz (which was worse with the PDR, by the way). Is the 6 kHz crossover in your design critical to prevent this? In other words, would there be blooming with a lower crossover?

I'm wondering, the slight bump off-axis, around 2 kHz, is this caused by diffraction? Or is this caused by the fact that a driver is no longer an acoustically small dipole?
Old 1st November 2012, 09:36 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at a lower crossover point. The wave guide should keep the tweeter behaving correctly to lower frequency. Not sure about the 2k bump. I was not as significant in the original Note. I could be a result of the RS like side pieces.It needs further investigation.
Old 1st November 2012, 10:02 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
Every time John K and SL are mentioned in the same thread, it ends up with John K telling us why SL's designs aren't as good as his. This "rivalry" goes back a long long long time and is a one sided affair at that.
Actually if you look back JohnK had always been the pioneer eg. Rear tweeter, variable baffle width. Linkwitzlab, though provided very nice and unique aesthetics like the Orions, Beethovens, etc.

For the latest iterations that is the variable baffle width, I am not a fan of both Nao Note and LX521 in terms of looks!

The dipoles at this point, I think, has been done to death (?)... let's see another approach
Old 1st November 2012, 10:09 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Everything has been done to death
How about 2nd order gradients.
Let's try that with CD up to 20kHz!
Old 1st November 2012, 10:12 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

It could be possible I guess?
We could use a shotgun type of horn at the top. Like "Living Voice's-Olympian"
Old 1st November 2012, 10:26 PM   #69
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member