NaO Note II RS

My way...

Indoors, speaker in the middle of the room on a turntable. Mic on stand 1m (or more depends on how tall the speaker is), on-axis projecting towards a corner.

Then run sweeps 0-180deg, 15deg steps is good for starting/learning. 0-60 with 5deg steps is interesting too. Then study the results, use various gating time, right window types and smoothing. Try 3-120ms gating and study changes, floor and ceiling 1st reflections are quite easy to detect and then can be ignored afterwards.

Room Schroeder freq is around 300Hz, but 60ms gating and 1/2 oct smoothing gives reasonable impression of low freq behaviour below that.

It takes time to learn the artefacts... Move the mic sideways and vertically too to see what happens - reflections change peak freq!

---

Another point of your speaker, spl above 4kHz might be too loud, try 2-3dB lower or gently rising towards highs.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
.. or gently sloping down highs.

REW's distortion display's fundamental response is pretty good at showing what we hear, but is has fixed smoothing. It is good for detecting annoying resonances etc.

For listening spot response I use multiple sweeps with varying mic position (MMM) with single speaker playing. Then go to All spl window and make Average of them. You can change gating and smoothing then too.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
---

Another point of your speaker, spl above 4kHz might be too loud, try 2-3dB lower or gently rising towards highs.
Thanks for your sharing your experience and wisdom, Juha.

@john k... included 2 switches that 1) reduced the tweeter level 2) turned off the rear tweeter. Depending listening material (and the room), I found this very useful.

Did I say mention that a fellow NaO builder from my hometown came to listen to mine, and I went to listen to his. Well, double the Vd made an enormous difference to the dynamic range!

I always meant to convert it to dual opposed twin woofers, but time ran away from me. The 830452 is still available, and an excellent woofer for below 120Hz.
The SEAS L26ROY3 finally comes in black (ROY3) and the Purifi PTT10.0X are direct drop-in fits for the 10" XXLS woofers.

So at some stage I will do dual opposed sealed woofers, or put one on the rear and design it for cardioid bass...

So many projects, so little time...

Reactions: 1 users