NaO Note II RS - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 12:33 PM   #241
diyAudio Member

Yes it was a set built for a friend of his using the same mid (Neo10) in the same type cabinet, with a clone on his crossover. Woofers were different but had no impact on the top end detail, the Heil were just more detailed and life like than the Neo3s.

The Ravens I heard a few weeks before that in a set of Nola baby grands, and the RAAL 140-15D AM I have heard in my own system (both dipole and monopoles).
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:50 PM   #242
diyAudio Member

John - please dont tell me you are intending to upgrade the Neo 3 on Nao Note to Raal - argh!!! Must rebuild the whole baffle and modify the active and passive crossover ...
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:14 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmonster View Post
John - please dont tell me you are intending to upgrade the Neo 3 on Nao Note to Raal - argh!!! Must rebuild the whole baffle and modify the active and passive crossover ...
No, never. The Note and the Note II RS are done deals. There is no way on the planet I would ever design a speaker around a $700 driver, be it a woofer, mid or tweeter. I don't, and I don't expect people who build my speakers to have dollars to throw at such things. If I was interested in going that route why would I design the Note II RS to come in at a price for the completed system which is less than a pair of RAAL 140-15Ds?

The only thing I have interest in is looking into ways to improved the NaO II while reducing its cost. With excel T25 at $263 and the 27TDFC at $50 for a total of $313 it makes sense to look at the Aurum Cantus at $200 to save a couple of hundred dollars per pair of speakers. There are a couple of other tweeters I'm looking at as well.
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:11 PM   #244
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
The only thing I have interest in is looking into ways to improved the NaO II while reducing its cost. With excel T25 at $263 and the 27TDFC at $50 for a total of $313 it makes sense to look at the Aurum Cantus at $200 to save a couple of hundred dollars per pair of speakers. There are a couple of other tweeters I'm looking at as well.
Obviously SL agrees . . . see the LX521. It is lunacy to spend big bucks over 6kHz . . . there are plenty of $20 domes that do just fine (or you can drop $40 for a "name brand"). The "expensive" tweeters are justified *only* for low frequency extension . . . and thus not even worth considering for a 4-way dipole.
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:26 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Obviously SL agrees . . . see the LX521. It is lunacy to spend big bucks over 6kHz . . . there are plenty of $20 domes that do just fine (or you can drop $40 for a "name brand"). The "expensive" tweeters are justified *only* for low frequency extension . . . and thus not even worth considering for a 4-way dipole.
I disagree that it is lunacy to spend big bucks on over 6kHz, as great sound is always worth the money, but I do agree that it would be highly impractical for John to include it in this current build, as he is looking for bang for buck, and the RAAL is never going to fit that bucket.
Old 24th December 2012, 01:18 AM   #246
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
The only way I would consider replacing the 8545 is because they were no longer available. The midrange on the NaO II is too good to mess with.
John, whats your take on the new "improved" 8545?

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/18w-8545-01.pdf
Old 24th December 2012, 01:23 AM   #247
diyAudio Member

Hi John,
How do you feel about a dipole full range line array, on a really thin 4" flat OB, with about ten or more 3" FR drivers on one side, equalised flat to 80-100Hz and high passed 80-100Hz, with separate dipole active bass unit. It could offer all the polar benefits of a dipole radiation upto a very high frequency , in addition to no crossovers in the critical range.

This could very well be a 2 way active design with huge cost savings in amplification channels and half as many channels needed for DSP.

Last edited by soundaatma; 24th December 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 24th December 2012, 01:48 AM   #248
diyAudio Member

You would need 75 drivers at 3" with 2.5mm xmax to reach 99db at 80Hz
That's 6db down LR alignment, which will give you 105db reference level.
You will need very high ceilings. About 30ft.

(I know you are thinking about those vifa's)
Old 24th December 2012, 01:48 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasz View Post
John, whats your take on the new "improved" 8545?

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/18w-8545-01.pdf
I haven't looked at it yet because there are still 8545-00 drivers around.
Old 24th December 2012, 01:54 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
Hi John,
How do you feel about a dipole full range line array, on a really thin 4" flat OB, with about ten or more 3" FR drivers on one side, equalised flat to 80-100Hz and high passed 80-100Hz, with separate dipole active bass unit. It could offer all the polar benefits of a dipole radiation upto a very high frequency , in addition to no crossovers in the critical range.

This could very well be a 2 way active design with huge cost savings in amplification channels and half as many channels needed for DSP.
Line sources really aren't my cup of tea.

Hide this!Advertise here!