Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 12:15 AM   #221
diyAudio Member

I will put in my 2 cents, the Nao Notes are too Neutral - the sparkle was there only when no one else in my house is using electricity - I can feel Celine Dion's voice giving me goosebumps - once the lights or tv is on, boom - sparkle is gone...
Old 14th December 2012, 12:45 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

Most of us here are familiar with the huge OB system assembled by StigErik. He listens from very close distance. Maybe this is needed with the latest generation minimal baffle OB speakers. The speakers are unusually neutral and you need to place yourself up close to get a strong sense of the energy.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:22 AM   #223
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjefferson View Post
you need to place yourself up close
I didn't find that with the LX521 . . . in fact I preferred the "further back" seating position in SL's living room. But that may be just me, and the kind of music I listen to . . .
Old 14th December 2012, 02:13 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

My set up has the speakers 4' 8" from the wall behind them. 3' 4" from side walls and my listening position is 14' from the speakers. Occasionally I'll move forward to about 10" from the speakers. Never closer.

[edit] That's my position for pretty much all my speakers including my big OB system, with 33" x 41" flat baffle.

Last edited by john k...; 14th December 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 14th December 2012, 05:01 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
my listening position is 14' from the speakers. Occasionally I'll move forward to about 10" from the speakers. Never closer.

[edit] That's my position for pretty much all my speakers including my big OB system, with 33" x 41" flat baffle.
10" ??? 10 inches? Must be a typo, do you mean 10' (feet)?

Last edited by Jack Caldwell; 14th December 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:26 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Caldwell View Post
10" ??? 10 inches? Must be a typo, do you mean 10' (feet)?
Yes, typo. 10 feet!
Old 15th December 2012, 02:23 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
People used to say much the same about Maggies (despite their other flaws), and that feeling is perhaps more there with LX521 as well. I remember when I got my first Maggies . . . more than one person looked at them, commented that the sound in the room was "good", and then asked "where are the speakers?".

I think it has to do with the uniform polar . . . we're so used to "the box", particularly baffle step, but also the divergence of on-axis and "room" response in general, that when it's gone it does seem like "something's missing". I think it's one of the generally unremarked characteristics of really good loudspeakers (lots of box makers claim the effect but don't really produce it).
What I was talking about was particularly evident with the Maggie 1.7s I was trying. They actually measured flatter and more extended than my digi-Orions, but were missing some 'liveliness' in comparison.

This could be due to faults with the Orions (the bloom for example) but overall that's why I flipped the Maggies.
Old 15th December 2012, 11:04 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
What I was talking about was particularly evident with the Maggie 1.7s I was trying. They actually measured flatter and more extended than my digi-Orions, but were missing some 'liveliness' in comparison.

This could be due to faults with the Orions (the bloom for example) but overall that's why I flipped the Maggies.
Maggies suffer from and a lack of dynamics. The newer ones are better than they used to be. That is probably what you are hearing. You won't find that in any of my speakers, particualrly the Note II RS.
Old 15th December 2012, 06:16 PM   #229
craigj is offline craigj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
I have this odd concern, based irrationally on the more delicate appearance of the Notes and LX521, that I will lose some of the 'liveliness' that made me keep my current speakers when I compared them other well-regarded speakers like Maggie 1.7s.
I traded the Neo3 on a Note clone for a Raal, and it was like the speakers had been plugged in. I guess too much time in my youth with a Heil. Different ways to get where you want to go in this journey.

Cj
Old 21st December 2012, 12:11 PM   #230
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Craig

Which Raal please? Did it fit the Neo3 cutout?

Being a "Note clone", and not the exact original design, perhaps the presumably improvised crossover was at fault and the Raals (accidentally) compensated for this!?

Hide this!Advertise here!