NaO Note II RS - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 07:28 PM   #151
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Note surprisingly you took my comments out of context.
You set the context with the opening quote, John . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
Given the use of the active crossover, would it be possible to substitute a different mid driver?
Old 5th December 2012, 07:47 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
As you like.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #153
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
..and that started with:

Quote:
You could use any drivers you like and design your own system.

..in other words you stripped it of it's context by removing the "opening" portion of the opening quote (that started the post-reply).

Ideally John should have moved the portion you objected to - to it's own paragraph for greater clarity, but the fact is that the entire post has multiple topics "running throughout". Formatting and spelling isn't high on John's list for forum communication - but then again, it is just forum communication. Most people are glad just to have the information conveyed - even if sometimes it requires a bit of "ferreting-out".
Old 5th December 2012, 08:05 PM   #154
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As you like.
As it was . . . not a question of what I "like".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
Given the use of the active crossover
Old 5th December 2012, 08:08 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's not exactly difficult to "normalize" all drivers to the same sensitivity by setting amplifier gain, but even if one doesn't the miniDSP is a 24 bit device, so you're not going to lose any usefull resolution with a bit or two of digital gain adjustment.
OK to throw away bits? Hmm... that doesn't correlate well with my experience using the DEQX.

The DEQX is also 24 bit, clocks at higher frequencies and is audibly much more transparent, with much higher resolution than the mini-DSP (I've compared them, also vs modded Behringer DEQ and DCX, mini-DSP came in 3rd place IMO, there was a clear difference)

So I'll concede that on the Mini-DSP the difference might be less audible, but since it is so easy to level match at the amp, that is still the best path to pursue.

It's too easy and tempting to trivialize these "minor" differences, but IME when we pay attention to them, the overall quality does indeed benefit.
Yes, I'm well aware that there is a whole brigade of folks on this forum who claim the differences are inaudible in DBT, but I'm not willing to spend time and effort on that subject. If you have ears to hear, then listen.

Bottom line is when a theoretically better solution also turns out to provide better performance (at least to some ears) then it may be the wise thing to not overlook it. And when it comes at no real cost... well... just do it.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:12 PM   #156
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Caldwell View Post
Yes, I'm well aware that there is a whole brigade of folks on this forum who claim the differences are inaudible in DBT, but I'm not willing to spend time and effort on that subject. If you have ears to hear, then listen.
Without blind testing there're other factors that bias what you hear.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:24 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
2 resistors in signal cable connector on AMP end. Or 3 in case of balanced connection. Be careful about impedance matching.
This can work really well. But there are exceptions: in some cases, you need extra gain.

For example, with a very high efficiency full-range driver you may be running at close to 97dB or so. With a small SET amp you can get glorious mid-range.

Now, let's decide to use that with a a small volume iso-baric sub. Some of these designs are in the 80dB sensitivity range.

When you pad down the mid/hf section by 17 dB to match the woofer section, you throw away a whole lot of input sensitivity on the amp, and will likely need a pre-amp with sufficient voltage gain to drive this combo properly.

If you like to drive things directly from a CD player or most DACs, on some material that is recorded at low volume, you're just not going to have enough drive to get it sufficiently loud. Thus the need for an additional pre-amp or buffer or transformer section to get back the missing gain.

And, yes, definitely, watch the impedance matching!
Old 5th December 2012, 08:25 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Without blind testing there're other factors that bias what you hear.
Yes, so I've heard. As I said, I'm not prepared to argue the DBT issue, so I'd be pleased if we could give it a rest.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:34 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Caldwell View Post
OK to throw away bits? Hmm... that doesn't correlate well with my experience using the DEQX.

The DEQX is also 24 bit, clocks at higher frequencies and is audibly much more transparent, with much higher resolution than the mini-DSP (I've compared them, also vs modded Behringer DEQ and DCX, mini-DSP came in 3rd place IMO, there was a clear difference)

All might be true, but the DEQX and the DCX only give you 3 paired channels out. The miniDSP is 2 in, 8 out which is what is needed. Additional the point of the Note II is maximizing the quality while minimizing cost. You will have a very difficult time finding a speaker that performs as well as the Note II at the same price point of around $1200 + lumber for the enclosure + amps.

But if you don't like the miniDSP choose the dsp crossover of your choice that allows for 4 pairs of outputs and I'll be glad to supply the details of the transfer functions so you can program it.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:45 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All might be true, but the DEQX and the DCX only give you 3 paired channels out. The miniDSP is 2 in, 8 out which is what is needed. Additional the point of the Note II is maximizing the quality while minimizing cost. You will have a very difficult time finding a speaker that performs as well as the Note II at the same price point of around $1200 + lumber for the enclosure + amps.
An excellent point and well worth underlining it in caps.
The QPR for the Note II has go to be off the charts.

In case it seemed like I'm dissing the MiniDSP, that was NOT the intent, so please forgive me. It's actually a very good sounding unit, and yes I think the DEQX sounds better but at a huge leap in price, especially for 4 channels where you'd have to cascade a pair of them.

John, I'd love for you to have a chance to hear what I've done with a Dayton PS220 on a bass-augmented OB. I called it the TimePulse Lambda, have a look at my website. If it's OT or inappropriate for you to respond in this thread just PM me.

Hide this!Advertise here!