NaO Note II RS

John K,can you say if the sound difference is noticeable from the 2x8 to 2x4 mini dsp,i am still getting together the parts for my build and if ,in your opinion the 2x4 sounds good i might go that way ,
thanks Gary

I haven't compared them with the same amps, but my general impression is that the 2x4 is very good as well. I actually started out with the 2x4. The thing is that with the 4x8 you can sit at your seat with a laptop connected to the crossover and make real time changes. With the 2x4 you can only change one speaker at a time. I think that makes the 4x8 more desirable if you are inclined to make voicing changes to compensate for your room or source material. The other thing is that I don't have a matched set of 2x4 units. One is V1.4 and the second one is V1.8. So it's hard to say definitively which is better.

Perhaps. I wonder how many DSP solutions John tried before settling on miniDSP?

SL's challenge seems very pragmatic.

Actually, I think use of the miniDSP products is pragmatic. And I am pleased to have their support. But it really doesn't matter what other dsp platforms I tried because anyone who wants to use a different dsp platform is free to do so. (The filters can even be coded up for the Bodzio UE PC based dsp crossover). As I state on my site use of the miniDSP represents the first step. That;s the nice thing about open dsp. Once the filter parameters are defined they can be programed into any dsp platform.

The Note II was intended to be a particle and affordable DIY speaker system with superior performance. That objective has been achieved.

Well, at least John did the work by himself. :rolleyes:

We don't need to lite that stick of dynamite again :) That SL doesn't want to go with the available options is his prerogative. I can understand why he would do that, so as to retain control. I don't agree and don't think it makes much sense as a DIY project, but it is his call. I guess it's more about a complete package that can result in a commercial product that carries his name. Fair enough. The problem I have with it, as with the ASP for the Orion, LX521, NaO II and the original Note, is that it is asking the builder to invest in a piece of equipment that is specific to the rest of the system. That is specifically what I am trying to get away from and why I offer a miniDSP solution for both the NaO II and the Note II.

This is a different approach than the direction I am going. My approach is to provide the design of a DIY speaker. It should physically be build according to my plan set. But when it comes to the electronics the options are up to the builder. I provide the miniDSP configuration files and recommend use of the miniDSP. But if someone want to use a different, suitable DSP option I'm more than happy to assist.

It also leaves the door open for those who would like to really grab the bull by the horns, take their own measurements and design the crossover from scratch. The Note II and NaO II with miniDSP crossovers and the miniDSP plug-ins represent true DIY platforms upon which the DIY builder can perform what ever experiments he likes. There is no restriction to "expert only" programing. No matter how far the builder/experimenter drifts from the original design, restoration to that original is only a few mouse clicks away. And if you tire of the speaker or want to go in a completely different direction you still have a dsp crossover can be used with any system. I don't want to paint builders into a corner.

Last edited:
Thanks John,

It's very generous of you to continue to support UE Technology.

Best Regards,
Bohdan

Hi Bohdan,

I have to get this up on my web page as well. And I'll post something over that the Sound Easy user's group too. I'm not using the UE in the intended way. Not linear phase and not full EQ of the drivers response. I am using it to emulate the same transfer functions that are used for the miniDSP. But it still allows for a PC based system.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
John,

Your NaO Note II RS webpage is a mess. There are multiple text lines overwriting each other and photo's on top of many sections of the text.

NaO Note II RS Details

You make mention of viewing problems using Safari/Snow Leopard, but my humble Windows computer is running Mozilla. (That can't be the issue.)

Edit: It does look okay if I use Google Chrome. HTML is fun. :)

Dave.

Last edited:
John,

Your NaO Note II RS webpage is a mess. There are multiple text lines overwriting each other and photo's on top of many sections of the text.

NaO Note II RS Details

You make mention of viewing problems using Safari/Snow Leopard, but my humble Windows computer is running Mozilla. (That can't be the issue.)

Dave.

Hi John,
Same problem with Windows XP and Windows 7 with IE10.
NaO Note II RS Details

John,
Have you looked at the functionality in JRiver's DSP Studio lately? With XO and EQ functionality, it is also a good enabler.

No I have not. To be honest, I'm not all that much into PC based audio. But if someone else wants to set the Note II up that way I would be glad to help.

Re the web page, I don't know what is going on there. It looks ok for me with XP, IE8, and Fire Fox and W7 IE8, and Google Chrome.

I Just downloaded IE10 on my W7 machine. I had the problem with messed up text as several of you have reported. The fix is to open the Tools menu click Compatibility View. I can not speak for the other browsers for which problems have been mentioned but would suggest that there may be a similar setting.

Last edited: