Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 02:04 PM   #131
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Sample rates of 96kHz, and 192kHz are completely unnecessary, consume time, and space. You are inflicting constraints that may suite your needs, but these are not based on audibly measurable performance. Don't blame bad results on poor design choices, if those choices truly suite your needs.

Regards,

Andrew
Besides the fact that your choices and opinions differ from mines (but I dont call yours "poor"), just keep in mind that less than 96khz limits the resolution of the XO and EQ filters you are using.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:51 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Besides the fact that your choices and opinions differ from mines (but I dont call yours "poor"), just keep in mind that less than 96khz limits the resolution of the XO and EQ filters you are using.
Microsecond level timing of signals is possible at any sample rate.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:11 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
The Bodzio Ultimate Equalizer (UE) and your PC can do the complete design and phase linearization. I was involved in the development of the UE but am no longer affiliated. I do plan to develope a linear phase version of the Note II RS which would use the UE based crossover.
John,
This is a bit off subject but I tried to PM you and no go. I am seriously considering Soundeasy (and other Bodzio software) for my Measurement/Design Package. I would like to know what your take is on this. If you want to discuss this else ware feel free to PM me.
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:35 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvylogan View Post
John,
This is a bit off subject but I tried to PM you and no go. I am seriously considering Soundeasy (and other Bodzio software) for my Measurement/Design Package. I would like to know what your take is on this. If you want to discuss this else ware feel free to PM me.
It's a good package but the learning curve is a little steep. The guide I wrote walks you through the basic design sequence. Se is nice because it's all in one. Pretty extensive measurement capability (more than I ever use). Good simulation flexibility, and the ability to digitally emulate any crossover you can design on the CAD screen, up to a stereo 4 way.
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:05 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
It's a good package but the learning curve is a little steep. The guide I wrote walks you through the basic design sequence. Se is nice because it's all in one. Pretty extensive measurement capability (more than I ever use). Good simulation flexibility, and the ability to digitally emulate any crossover you can design on the CAD screen, up to a stereo 4 way.
Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:16 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Microsecond level timing of signals is possible at any sample rate.

Regards,

Andrew
"192 for digital delay, for time aligning/phase aligning drivers is somewhat necessary. The minimum you can delay by is one sample period and 96 and 48 don't quite give you the precision required."
Active vrs passive
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:33 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Hmm, so at 48kHz, there's a sample every 0.020833ms, right? If I'm doing this right, the maximum alignment error at 1kHz is 7.5 phase shift, and so 75 at 10kHz. I guess it's true.
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:41 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

I suck at math, but on the thread i linked in some subsequent posts someone else did. For under 6k XO point 96k is acceptable. Few people use supertweeters or FR + tweeter it seems
Old 4th December 2012, 02:08 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
"192 for digital delay, for time aligning/phase aligning drivers is somewhat necessary. The minimum you can delay by is one sample period and 96 and 48 don't quite give you the precision required."
Active vrs passive
Single sample adjustment is not limit; only convenient, but as pointed out in 48kHz sample rate case, single sample is 7.5 degrees at 1kHz; to delay by smaller value re-sampling to higher rate is used, i.e. 480000, shifting one sample becomes 0.75 degrees. This is then sampled back to 48kHz, and all information is shifted in time frame by 2.1 microseconds.

This is failing of most speaker management DSP boxes. Steering potential lobes with finesse isn't possible.

When building/designing filter kernels, delay and EQ are worked right in for each channel.

This makes it easy to demonstrate nice deep reverse null notch with a driver polarity reversal:

Click the image to open in full size.

The above alignment was achieved without manually fussing with a delay or phase knob.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 4th December 2012, 10:17 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

As I posted previously, I presented the Note II RS at DIY New England on Dec 1. There has been some discussion about the perfromance over at the PE board. Here is a link to some comments made by an Orion owner.

Hide this!Advertise here!