DB sensitivity between different drives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im looking at building a standard three way basic hi mid and low but as im on a hunt for the drivers i notice most compression drivers are rated around 107db the mids i was looking at was roughly 102 and the subs or woofers were rated high 90"s around 96-99. i was curious when combined how do you equalize out the db for all the driver or is that not an important factor. if recall i read it some where that the +/- 3 db is also applied in this category but im finding it hard to find pro audio drivers that match dm within a 3db range

im looking at building a standard three way basic hi mid and low but as im on a hunt for the drivers i notice most compression drivers are rated around 107db the mids i was looking at was roughly 102 and the subs or woofers were rated high 90"s around 96-99. i was curious when combined how do you equalize out the db for all the driver or is that not an important factor. if recall i read it some where that the +/- 3 db is also applied in this category but im finding it hard to find pro audio drivers that match dm within a 3db range

The crossover is, along with a separation filter, a form of equalization.

A good speaker will be about +/- 1.5db from 200hz to 10khz. To get these results, it doesn't matter which drivers - you need a very good crossover.

A passive crossover is an attenuatior, so you do not want to normally attenuate a woofer much especially at low frequencies where power is high. Attenuation converts electrical current to heat, so high current is a bad idea. Doing too much to a woofer will also affect its TS Parameters.

However you can normally do plenty of things to tame down a midrange and/or tweeter.

My advice to start with a good, small format 2-way before jumping in head first with a large 3-way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.