diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   DB sensitivity between different drives (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221927-db-sensitivity-between-different-drives.html)

matthias125 21st October 2012 01:18 AM

DB sensitivity between different drives

im looking at building a standard three way basic hi mid and low but as im on a hunt for the drivers i notice most compression drivers are rated around 107db the mids i was looking at was roughly 102 and the subs or woofers were rated high 90"s around 96-99. i was curious when combined how do you equalize out the db for all the driver or is that not an important factor. if recall i read it some where that the +/- 3 db is also applied in this category but im finding it hard to find pro audio drivers that match dm within a 3db range

Keriwena 21st October 2012 01:55 AM

You either "pad" the more efficient drivers in the crossover for a passive system (ie, add a couple of resistors (see L-Pad)), or with an active system you can just turn the respective amps down.

Dissi 21st October 2012 12:44 PM

The woofer will finally only reach around 91 dB at low frequencies because of the baffle step (-6dB). No need to buy much louder mids. Please be aware, high efficiency and deep bass are contradictory. Thus, in a reasonably sized 3-way, a less efficient woofer may be a better choice!

tvrgeek 21st October 2012 05:48 PM

Matching, in system, is very important. Half of a dB can change the voicing and image perception depending on where the difference is.

You are looking at "pro" drivers. Is this a PA system or for home use?

RockLeeEV 21st October 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissi (Post 3209730)
Please be aware, high efficiency and deep bass are contradictory.

The Mach V FTW-21 would beg to differ ;)

RockLeeEV 21st October 2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthias125 (Post 3209304)
im looking at building a standard three way basic hi mid and low but as im on a hunt for the drivers i notice most compression drivers are rated around 107db the mids i was looking at was roughly 102 and the subs or woofers were rated high 90"s around 96-99. i was curious when combined how do you equalize out the db for all the driver or is that not an important factor. if recall i read it some where that the +/- 3 db is also applied in this category but im finding it hard to find pro audio drivers that match dm within a 3db range

The crossover is, along with a separation filter, a form of equalization.

A good speaker will be about +/- 1.5db from 200hz to 10khz. To get these results, it doesn't matter which drivers - you need a very good crossover.

A passive crossover is an attenuatior, so you do not want to normally attenuate a woofer much especially at low frequencies where power is high. Attenuation converts electrical current to heat, so high current is a bad idea. Doing too much to a woofer will also affect its TS Parameters.

However you can normally do plenty of things to tame down a midrange and/or tweeter.

My advice to start with a good, small format 2-way before jumping in head first with a large 3-way.

matthias125 21st October 2012 07:14 PM

Ill be using an active crossover if that helps

tvrgeek 21st October 2012 08:37 PM

OK, so you hook up a DC blocking cap on the mid and tweeter, dial in some numbers and adjust to suit. What't the question?

Dissi 21st October 2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockLeeEV (Post 3210070)
The Mach V FTW-21 would beg to differ ;)

Fundamentals of physics apply even to the FTW-21. Beg as long as you want, no way!

chris661 22nd October 2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissi (Post 3210311)
Fundamentals of physics apply even to the FTW-21. Beg as long as you want, no way!

The third term was missed: you can have deep bass and high efficiency, but it will be massive.

Compact, deep bass, high efficiency - pick any two (Hoffman's Law)