How to allocate money between drivers in a 3-way? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to allocate money between drivers in a 3-way?

Is there a consensus for how to budget money for each driver in a 3-way monitor that will be used with superset subwoofers? For example, would a typical design have most of the money and the highest quality component in the tweeter since it is covering the widest frequency range?

Thx
Old 20th October 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

highes quality driver - MIDRANGE!!! Tweeter 2nd (you can only hear about 1/2 of it's range anyway).

The midrange is where your hearing is most sensitive and descriminating.
Old 20th October 2012, 05:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I'd spend most money on the mid-range.
Old 20th October 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I agree the midrange is most important, but there are good midranges that are cheap. Whereas good bass units start at $50 each or so.
Old 20th October 2012, 06:03 PM   #5
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

50% bass 30% mid 20% tweeter. There are good inexpensive mids and tweets, but bass costs a bit more and tends to need more help keeping distortion down.
Old 20th October 2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I definitely agree with the Midrange.
If you will be crossing to a sub then you don't really need a woofer that digs deep or goes high.
Crossing the Mid around 4500-5000 makes tweeter choice a lot simpler too.
You could get away with a 1/2"-3/4" tweeter for better dispersion off axis.
I really like the Alpair 6p in a sealed sub-enclosure for a mid, I am currently working on the application for it.
This allows nice 1st order crossovers if you have a tweeter with a low Fs.
You could also cross low 300's to the woofer and it will open up all sorts of possibilities with lower cost good woofers.
Old 21st October 2012, 04:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bag of worms question.
Consider that a good midrange is one with a very wide and very smooth response with smooth roll-off characteristics and what you spend on the drivers can be saved in XO components.
The only thing I would be definite about is not skimping on the midrange, but dividing the budget into thirds works.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I know, a very subjective question...I am just trying to figure out where the cost of diminished returns no longer makes sense to continue to plow into.

On paper these two look fairly similar in the range that they would be crossed over but the scan speak is definitely flatter...now how much of that can I hear...??

Seas prestige 4" vs. scanspeak illuminator 4"... Worth the extra $$$?
Old 21st October 2012, 06:19 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Several answers:

Now you are getting to it. You are looking at basically two very different marketing levels. Very good and esoteric. The Scan Speak is a newer design with neo magnets and in THEORY could have lower distortion.

The simple answer is balance. Not balance of the cost, but balance of the range. Don't expect a fantastic mid to cover the ills of a fair tweeter or woofer. If I went with the Scan Speak, I would spring for the air-circ tweeter. If I went with the Seas I might go for a 27TBFC tweeter. The mid range Seas are so good, the difference in performance will be small for the big difference is cost.

My expectations is the more expensive driver would be easier to use. So far it has it panned out. An Excel woofer is a lot harder to use than their reed paper woofer.

I have yet to find a mid I would cross over at 5K. Even the two mentioned. I keep going back to a 5 to 7 inch and tweeter crossed between 1800 and 2500. I think this is what the market is driving, so that is what is available. I don't have a giant room and so far, there is nothing I can't do yet with the smaller two way.

I would NEVER use a driver like the 6p first order. The breakup is just too terrible. At 5K crossover, I would be looking at 4th order and still maybe a notch. Everyone's experience may vary.

Hide this!Advertise here!