Adding a rear-firing tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also have the Realistic super tweeter. And yes it has a huge amount of output. I think I used a 10nf cap and still I could hear the darn tweeter. That one really needs a 20dB pad on it.

The thing I don't get about super tweeters is if a person only listens to CD why does a person need one????

I guess the short answer is that they don't.

I also have the Realistic super tweeter. And yes it has a huge amount of output. I think I used a 10nf cap and still I could hear the darn tweeter. That one really needs a 20dB pad on it.

The thing I don't get about super tweeters is if a person only listens to CD why does a person need one????

I guess the short answer is that they don't.

Or - I think it is to do with harmonics. Imagine you can throw a pebble into a pond. Let's say the furthest you can throw the pebble is 20 metres. When the pebble strikes the water, ripples are formed and travel away from the point of impact, and those ripples may travel up to say 40 metres from where you are standing.

Not sure if this is a correct analogy but that's how I see it with my non-scientific brain! :p

yes i agree with you about harminics. but CD only goes to 22khz max.
most modern regular tweeters will cover this frequency.

so if your regular tweeter is half decent, and you only play CD, then adding a super tweeter might be more trouble than it is worth?

to do it properly you would need to put a bandpass filter on your regular tweeter, which would cause more phase shift.

if you dont do this and just say left the tweeter as is, and run the super tweeter with a 12db crossover you will get summing of certain frequencies say around ( insert arbitrary freqency here say 18-20khz)
and this will cause an unnatural brightness to the sound.

personally, i think supertweeters cause more trouble than they are worth, and its better just to use a decent normal tweeter in the first place. ymmv.

yes i agree with you about harminics. but CD only goes to 22khz max.
most modern regular tweeters will cover this frequency.

so if your regular tweeter is half decent, and you only play CD, then adding a super tweeter might be more trouble than it is worth?

to do it properly you would need to put a bandpass filter on your regular tweeter, which would cause more phase shift.

if you dont do this and just say left the tweeter as is, and run the super tweeter with a 12db crossover you will get summing of certain frequencies say around ( insert arbitrary freqency here say 18-20khz)
and this will cause an unnatural brightness to the sound.

personally, i think supertweeters cause more trouble than they are worth, and its better just to use a decent normal tweeter in the first place. ymmv.

Interesting thoughts erin. I should point out that in my set up there is only one tweeter, the Realistic. I bought and used that as it was reported to be an exact copy of a Fostex tweeter that sounded very good, and I've found it to work very well in my system.

Now, adding a rear-firing tweeter may or not work, but I always prefer to leave 'no stone unturned', so at least I will give it a go.

Me thinking just the other way:
Dayton ND20 super.gif
Black is the frequency response of a Dayton ND20 on a 30 cm wide baffle. It is like many other tweeters with its 12 db rolloff below 2 kHz. You need a real crossover between the midrange driver and the tweeter to make the combination work.
Red is the same tweeter with a 0.47 µF cap in line. Here we have an easier 6 dB rolloff and a continous rise to the highest frequencies. Note that a 20 dB attenuation at 2 kHz is built in too. It will be much easier to simply add this "supertweeter" to a fullrange driver than the crossover version.

Yesterday I found the time to add some Audax TW025M1 tweeters to the rear of my OB's. I ran them with a 0.47 uF cap (same as the front firing tweeters), and with an adjustable attenuator to control their output.

After a bit of adjustment of the attenuators I was quite impressed with what I heard. I wouldn't say the sound stage is larger but it is better 'filled out'. There appears to be more detail, but not sharper and isolated, more like detail within detail.

Strangely it doesn't sound as if it has so much clarity, and yet tiny details are easier to hear.

I like to use Q-sound effects to see what has changed when I make a tweak (particularly with speakers), and the ones on 'Amused to Death (Roger Waters) did appear to be slightly more well defined, and slightly more projected out into the listening space. On 'Wish You Were Here' (Pink Floyd) I noticed some Q-sound effects that before I wasn't sure if they actually were Q-sound or not.

I don't know if this can be bettered, or if it I will still like it so much in a week's time, but for now I give it a thumbs up. It will do me until such time as I can find some more of the Realistic/Fostex tweeters. For the outlay and effort, it's certainly been worth trying.

And thanks for all the advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.