Adding a rear-firing tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the correct wiring when adding a rear firing tweeter.

I currently have a tweeter with just a single 0.47 uFd cap as crossover. I want to add a rear firing tweeter but what is the correct way to wire it in?

Is this correct?

two-tweeters-wiring.gif

Above is for bipole operation. If you want a dipole, you should invert the rear tweeter connections. Which of both is "correct" can not be decided without further information about your system and room situation.

Rudolf

Sorry Rudolf, I should have said that this is for an open baffle speaker with the full-range drivers being (modified for OB use) Goodmans 201's.

So I guess that I should wire for dipole rather than bipole.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry Rudolf, I should have said that this is for an open baffle speaker
so I guess that I should wire for dipole rather than bipole.

probably
just be aware that you introduce other phase errors as well
tho a super tweeter sounds easy, it really isn't
and it can really make you pull your hair out
once you have heard it, you want it so bad because it just sounds so bloddy good
and yet you still can't make it work good enough to let it say in the system
now I have warned you :D

Sorry Rudolf, I should have said that this is for an open baffle speaker with the full-range drivers being (modified for OB use) Goodmans 201's.
So I guess that I should wire for dipole rather than bipole.
You should try both versions. I don't know where the tweeters come in, but at say >4 kHz the difference between bi- and dipole becomes moot anyway. You may want to attenuate the rear tweeter somewhat depending on the character of the front wall reflection. But - as Tinitus mentioned - it is always a good idea to have it in the first place ;)

Rudolf

Sorry, I misread. I thought you had the Realistics for the rear. Those are a Fostex unit if memory serves so...

Fostex Super Tweeters

Who's Carl? ;)

My apologies Cal - trying to post too fast as usual.

Yes, I'm currently looking on Ebay. I was lucky with mine paying 20 UK pounds on Ebay a few years back. They are a copy of the Fostex, and mine have 'made in Japan' stamped on the rear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.