Adding a rear-firing tweeter - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's correct. These are the ones.

Radio Shack 40-1310 Super Tweeter

Probably lucky to find a pair these days but worth looking. My Ebay search has thrown up similar items, but most only go up to 20K.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:56 PM   #22
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

How old are you? 20K? I gave that up years ago.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:16 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Well the Realistics are claimed to be 40K so I was looking for something of similar spec.

And just because we can't hear 20K and up, it doesn't mean that it is not having an effect!

I'm going to use some Audax tweeters I have lying around while I keep searching.
Old 20th October 2012, 12:04 PM   #24
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

I also have the Realistic super tweeter. And yes it has a huge amount of output. I think I used a 10nf cap and still I could hear the darn tweeter. That one really needs a 20dB pad on it.

The thing I don't get about super tweeters is if a person only listens to CD why does a person need one????

I guess the short answer is that they don't.
Old 21st October 2012, 09:06 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
I also have the Realistic super tweeter. And yes it has a huge amount of output. I think I used a 10nf cap and still I could hear the darn tweeter. That one really needs a 20dB pad on it.

The thing I don't get about super tweeters is if a person only listens to CD why does a person need one????

I guess the short answer is that they don't.
Or - I think it is to do with harmonics. Imagine you can throw a pebble into a pond. Let's say the furthest you can throw the pebble is 20 metres. When the pebble strikes the water, ripples are formed and travel away from the point of impact, and those ripples may travel up to say 40 metres from where you are standing.

Not sure if this is a correct analogy but that's how I see it with my non-scientific brain!
Old 21st October 2012, 10:34 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

yes i agree with you about harminics. but CD only goes to 22khz max.
most modern regular tweeters will cover this frequency.

so if your regular tweeter is half decent, and you only play CD, then adding a super tweeter might be more trouble than it is worth?

to do it properly you would need to put a bandpass filter on your regular tweeter, which would cause more phase shift.

if you dont do this and just say left the tweeter as is, and run the super tweeter with a 12db crossover you will get summing of certain frequencies say around ( insert arbitrary freqency here say 18-20khz)
and this will cause an unnatural brightness to the sound.

personally, i think supertweeters cause more trouble than they are worth, and its better just to use a decent normal tweeter in the first place. ymmv.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:33 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
yes i agree with you about harminics. but CD only goes to 22khz max.
most modern regular tweeters will cover this frequency.

so if your regular tweeter is half decent, and you only play CD, then adding a super tweeter might be more trouble than it is worth?

to do it properly you would need to put a bandpass filter on your regular tweeter, which would cause more phase shift.

if you dont do this and just say left the tweeter as is, and run the super tweeter with a 12db crossover you will get summing of certain frequencies say around ( insert arbitrary freqency here say 18-20khz)
and this will cause an unnatural brightness to the sound.

personally, i think supertweeters cause more trouble than they are worth, and its better just to use a decent normal tweeter in the first place. ymmv.
Interesting thoughts erin. I should point out that in my set up there is only one tweeter, the Realistic. I bought and used that as it was reported to be an exact copy of a Fostex tweeter that sounded very good, and I've found it to work very well in my system.

Now, adding a rear-firing tweeter may or not work, but I always prefer to leave 'no stone unturned', so at least I will give it a go.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Me thinking just the other way:
Dayton ND20 super.gif
Black is the frequency response of a Dayton ND20 on a 30 cm wide baffle. It is like many other tweeters with its 12 db rolloff below 2 kHz. You need a real crossover between the midrange driver and the tweeter to make the combination work.
Red is the same tweeter with a 0.47 F cap in line. Here we have an easier 6 dB rolloff and a continous rise to the highest frequencies. Note that a 20 dB attenuation at 2 kHz is built in too. It will be much easier to simply add this "supertweeter" to a fullrange driver than the crossover version.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:10 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hello

you can use 2.2Micro Farad or 4.7Micro with 250Volts (for DC capacitors)
Old 21st October 2012, 12:10 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

my comments were regarding the 3dB boost in overlapping frequencies when using two tweeters.
and, as previously stated by another member, the realistic is made by fostex, and is the same part.

Hide this!Advertise here!