Ribbon Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about this ribbon tweeter.I have some that I would like to use in a line source.
Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• ribbon tweeter.jpg
    ribbon tweeter.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,009
Thanks everyone for your help.I bought a box of these drivers from a Radio Shack clearance centre a couple of years ago and have never been able to find any info on them at all.Now I have enough info to at least start looking at using these drivers .I am thinking of using them with some Carver 60 " ribbons in a dipole configuration.
Andrew

JVC branded Ribbon Tweeter Measurements

Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in making this post, but I am just not a fast responder. I thought you might like some measurement data to help you design your crossover. I have attached a gif file of the impulse and frequency response of the JVC labeled version of this driver.

I am sorry that this driver is no longer being manufactured. It performs better than many current dome tweeters. It is stable over time. Mine have not changed in over twenty years. I first used this tweeter in a three-way loudspeaker in the early eighties. I used a 10-inch MFB woofer crossing to a 50 mm Jordan module at 400 Hz, crossing over to the ribbon tweeter at 12 kHz. While the foam surround on the woofers and the polymer doped spiders on the Jordan modules have turned to dust, and the doped cloth surround on the Jordan modules have hardened into immobility, the ribbons continue to perform as if they were new.

This driver also performs just as well (maybe better) as the newest batch of affordable ribbons currently on the market. The driver is not perfect, but I have always found its sound to be pleasurable. Like all other ribbons, its vertical dispersion is narrow and most of the output below 8 kHz is from the resonant decay structure of the diaphragm.

I hope your design works out and you can enjoy the sound of this ribbon driver.

Mark

Attachments

• jvcribbon.gif
    jvcribbon.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 631
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.