Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 09:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question A Digital Active Crossover

Since many years ago (like the 1990's), I have been playing around with the formulas for converting time based signals into frequency based signals using FFT's, convolution, shorter methods, windowing, etc. Processors are now fast enough for the mathematics. I have always used the EAC program to precisely extract the values of each CD I own because I only use burned CD's in my vehicle (the originals stay in the basement). Well, the uncompressed tracks are actually streamed into the deck nowadays via a small computer but that is another long story.

With a "numerical copy" of each track, I then began to selectively delete frequency ranges for the fun of it and reconvert the result to a time based signal for playback. My ultimate goal was to eliminate certain instruments from the "blended" track and in essence, reverse engineer the track to before where the mixing process began (haha, not gonna happen).

But, now I wonder if anyone has tried using this kind of digital processing to, for example, send only 0Hz to 100Hz exactly to a subwoofer's amplifier, 101Hz to 500Hz to a woofer's amplifier, 501Hz and up to a midranges's amplifier, and say 3,501Hz and up to a tweeter's amplifier?

It can be done. I just don't have the cash for multiple amps and drivers. But, I wonder if the frequency/sound shifts between drivers would sound artificial? As in jumping from one driver to another?
Old 16th October 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you been staying in the basement with your original CDs? This is pretty much what active crossovers are about. Oh, BTW, the crossover ranges have to overlap by several octaves to get smooth sound.

Take a look at this to see what things are available:
Behringer: ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionAudio View Post
Since many years ago (like the 1990's), I have been playing around with the formulas for converting time based signals into frequency based signals using FFT's, convolution, shorter methods, windowing, etc. Processors are now fast enough for the mathematics. I have always used the EAC program to precisely extract the values of each CD I own because I only use burned CD's in my vehicle (the originals stay in the basement). Well, the uncompressed tracks are actually streamed into the deck nowadays via a small computer but that is another long story.

With a "numerical copy" of each track, I then began to selectively delete frequency ranges for the fun of it and reconvert the result to a time based signal for playback. My ultimate goal was to eliminate certain instruments from the "blended" track and in essence, reverse engineer the track to before where the mixing process began (haha, not gonna happen).

But, now I wonder if anyone has tried using this kind of digital processing to, for example, send only 0Hz to 100Hz exactly to a subwoofer's amplifier, 101Hz to 500Hz to a woofer's amplifier, 501Hz and up to a midranges's amplifier, and say 3,501Hz and up to a tweeter's amplifier?

It can be done. I just don't have the cash for multiple amps and drivers. But, I wonder if the frequency/sound shifts between drivers would sound artificial? As in jumping from one driver to another?
Old 16th October 2012, 01:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default SWAG: Avoid a Grasshopper Response

I suspect system instability will be triggered by an input tone that drifts from one side to another of a brick walled crossover frequency. There probably is an overlap region minimum to be imposed that is much greater than df(j)=0 at some attenuation level (j); brought about by, if nothing else, sample granularity and clock jitter.

Regards,

WHG

Hide this!Advertise here!