Active vrs passive - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 03:38 AM   #881
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
...Isn't a multiway speaker always going to constitute two or more sound sources with different directionality characteristics..........

As always, I'm sceptical that speaker designers know secret stuff that they're just not telling the rest of us. And in these pages I just don't read anything that convinces me that speaker design is anything but a case of following a few rules of thumb.... At least the active DSP people have some better control of things, but it's never going to be a precise science. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.
Just not comprehending all the good info? No need to be skeptical. No secrets held back here. Nothing but truth and a whole lot more.

Phase plots of my previous post are of speaker that follows rule of thumb where drivers are about 1/4 wavelength apart at crossover frequency, and thus function as single source; reflections remain coherent.

A room treats all sounds the same. If sounds entering room are realistic, at least chance exists that they will be perceived as such.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:04 AM   #882
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
And in these pages I just don't read anything that convinces me that speaker design is anything but a case of following a few rules of thumb, and pot luck when it comes to the finer points of toeing-in etc.
If you want average good speakers, maybe. But there really is more to it than that. It's like any skill, playing a sport or an instrument. Being good means following a few rules, being great means a lot more. As your knowledge grows, you start to notice things you never did before.
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:40 AM   #883
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
As your knowledge grows, you start to notice things you never did before.
And the more you learn, the more you will realize how much more there is to learn.

dave
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:58 PM   #884
diyAudio Moderator

That's the main problem, isn't it?
Old 24th December 2012, 11:17 AM   #885
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you want average good speakers, maybe. But there really is more to it than that. It's like any skill, playing a sport or an instrument. Being good means following a few rules, being great means a lot more. As your knowledge grows, you start to notice things you never did before.
Hi Pano

You've been challenged by an upstart :-)

Can you supply an nice example of how you obtain a better-than-average speaker by going beyond the rules of thumb? Are you suggesting that if we dismantled a highly-regarded commercial speaker we would begin to see strange things within it that caused us to scratch our heads? As I say, I'm sceptical. Within the drivers themselves, yes, I can imagine all sorts of subtle and clever things going on - or maybe it's just a case of basic theory put into practice solidly - but the boxes themselves..?
Old 24th December 2012, 11:24 AM   #886
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Phase plots of my previous post are of speaker that follows rule of thumb where drivers are about 1/4 wavelength apart at crossover frequency, and thus function as single source; reflections remain coherent.
I am very impressed by your phase plots, and I like that rule of thumb, but is it as perfect as you suggest, especially at shallower crossover slopes?

Do you have an opinion on the so-called Stochastic Interleave function described here?
http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/research...alignments.pdf
Old 24th December 2012, 01:34 PM   #887
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Are you suggesting that if we dismantled a highly-regarded commercial speaker we would begin to see strange things within it that caused us to scratch our heads?
Yes, usually. No speaker (or its parts) is perfect, so getting what you want becomes an exercise in compromise. Knowing what is important to keep, what can be lost, what blends well with what - are all things that take a lot of experience. You can get lucky with "design by the rules" and you certainly should start that way to understand what's going on and to have a decent chance at a good speaker. Learn how to draw before you learn how to paint.

If you are just talking about boxes, then it's simpler, tho not simple. If you are talking about driver choice, crossover design, box design, porting, stuffing, interaction with the room, etc. - then the balancing act gets tricky.
Old 24th December 2012, 02:22 PM   #888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am very impressed by your phase plots, and I like that rule of thumb, but is it as perfect as you suggest, especially at shallower crossover slopes?

Do you have an opinion on the so-called Stochastic Interleave function described here?
http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/research...alignments.pdf
Shallow crossover slopes:

Simulation of 1kHz crossovers with 1st order Butterworth and 4th order Linkwitz-Riley with 1/4 wave offset at 1kHz:

cross1k 1st v 4th order quarter wave offset.gif

The above pic shows ripple in 1st order filter due to summing of low pass filter attenuation band with high pass filter. As filters become steeper, ripple becomes single dip with width inversely related to filter steepness.

Continued use of low slope filters offers no advancement in speaker design. Their simplicity in design and use highly compromises coherent sound radiation.

I checked out Stochastic Interleave, and it is complex way of saying: Let's compromise on axis performance for improved off axis performance. IMO, junk.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 24th December 2012, 04:02 PM   #889
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Continued use of low slope filters offers no advancement in speaker design. Their simplicity in design and use highly compromises coherent sound radiation.
I like it. What do you define as a low slope? Anything below 16th order, say?

Quote:
I checked out Stochastic Interleave, and it is complex way of saying: Let's compromise on axis performance for improved off axis performance. IMO, junk.
Presumably with steep crossover slopes there is less reason to use it anyway..?
Old 24th December 2012, 04:07 PM   #890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, usually. No speaker (or its parts) is perfect, so getting what you want becomes an exercise in compromise. Knowing what is important to keep, what can be lost, what blends well with what - are all things that take a lot of experience. You can get lucky with "design by the rules" and you certainly should start that way to understand what's going on and to have a decent chance at a good speaker. Learn how to draw before you learn how to paint.

If you are just talking about boxes, then it's simpler, tho not simple. If you are talking about driver choice, crossover design, box design, porting, stuffing, interaction with the room, etc. - then the balancing act gets tricky.
Can you give an example of something you have done that lifted a speaker beyond average? And what led you to think it would work before you did it?

Hide this!Advertise here!