Active vrs passive - Page 79 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2012, 08:00 AM   #781
diyAudio Member

Active does not solve beaming problems of running drivers too high and used rashly encourages sudden changes in polar response, even though on axis measurement is ruler flat. It does allow better designs with already well chosen drivers
Old 15th November 2012, 08:24 AM   #782
diyAudio Member

my experience is different. Audacity sucks eggs. CoolEdit pro is good and I use it frequently, though it doesnt do 24bit DSP as it renders in 16bit of 32bit floating and I dont have a 32bit soundcard. Do you? Dont get me wrong 16bit is OK, but its got a long way to go until i buy in.
Personally I dont think the DSP VSTI plugins are in general that hot, and theyre far from modern since CEPro must be a decade old now. That being said, I will have to search out those Aurora. The pessimist in me doesnt have that much confidence in them though.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 15th November 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:08 AM   #783
diyAudio Member

Cool Edit Pro 2.1 certainly does 32 bit; and 32 floating point; user bit depth conversion with dither options. I do all filter work from editor; but multitrack will do 32bit integer mix. Sourceforge Convolver works 32bit, 24bit, 16bit.

Convolver in Windows Media Player, and under VST host will operate bit perfect.

Regards,

Andrew

Quote:
Active does not solve beaming problems of running drivers too high and used rashly encourages sudden changes in polar response, even though on axis measurement is ruler flat. It does allow better designs with already well chosen drivers
What? With steeper crossover filters, it is possible to safely cross tweeter much lower, reducing beaming issues of mid/woofer.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #784
diyAudio Member

interesting...im still discouraged by 16bit being the best my 24bit SFX card will output. Im certain 32bit would be worth the effort, IF i had a capable card. Although my home studio efforts have sounded great so perhaps 16bit is sufficient? Damn now i have to buy another amp and/or soundcard to try that VST...
Old 15th November 2012, 11:35 AM   #785
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how you are coming to 16bit limit with 24bit card. 32bit processing makes sense for computation, but 32bit output is waste, and nobody to my knowledge is achieving this sort of performance. Thermal noise of most resistors at room temperature result in dynamic range less than 24bits; speaker drivers are much worse than this. Most speaker systems don't effectively show better than 12bits. Most people don't have clue as to how much sound is on a well produced CD.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 15th November 2012, 12:02 PM   #786
diyAudio Member

true. I doubt anyone can hear 2^16 amplitude levels in a 80dB dynamic range.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:20 PM   #787
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Thermal noise of most resistors at room temperature result in dynamic range less than 24bits; speaker drivers are much worse than this.
And then there's microphones . . .

I used to obsess about the last half dB of microphone noise . . . until I realized that once the orchestra was seated and breathing I couldn't hear it . . .

24 bit is good for capture . . . it makes life much easier setting gains and avoiding impulse overload. 32 bit is necessary for processing. 16 bit is plenty for delivery . . . anything more is wasted overhead or lost in the noise.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:39 PM   #788
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
The beaming aspect is true of both types of XO's ... and if used rashly, both will hurt polar responses. ... but as Barleywater pointed out, correctly chosen steeper filters will/should improve polar response both on and off axis. That that should allow for better designs with even not so well chosen drivers.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:02 PM   #789
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
What? With steeper crossover filters, it is possible to safely cross tweeter much lower, reducing beaming issues of mid/woofer.
Within reason, yes, but not for cheap tweeters or something like the Tekton 10" thread in this forum.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:05 PM   #790
diyAudio Member

A lot of discussion about DSPs, A/D and D/A around here, but most of the advantages of going active will also be realized by using analog crossovers too, particularly 4-th order ones (or steeper)

Hide this!Advertise here!