Active vrs passive - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 11:50 PM   #401
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
BTW having read about the non-linear effects of some capacitor types in audio, sometimes i wonder if the inductor isn't such an "evil" component.
Like capacitor with air or vacuum dielectric is no more evil than a coil without magnetic core. But if you add a core to the coil it is more evil than dielectric in the capacitor.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:13 AM   #402
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
What you describe is a powered speaker. It can be active or passive.
Powered speaker can be passive, if power is used to create constant magnetic field only. But speaker with the amp inside can't be passive. I did not describe powered speaker. I described exactly active speaker.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:27 AM   #403
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
For the size required they almost have to be cored and it is far from trivial... calculate the value needed for 1st order into 100k impedance.
Go lower impedance and then the value is reduced proportionately. But don't go too low or losses become significant. I've started playing with passive line level LC quite recently and an impedance of 100-200 ohms seems to work. But its very early days yet in winding my own inductors - perhaps longer term stability is going to be an issue. I'm not using air-core as one of my values is 11.4mH

@Wave - what's the SRF of the primary of your 12H trafo? IOW, what's the parasitic shunt capacitance? Also what core material?

Last edited by abraxalito; 23rd October 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:35 AM   #404
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Go lower impedance and then the value is reduced proportionately.
I know that, but that is the input impedance of my amps. I'm not going to change that.

dave
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:36 AM   #405
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Powered speaker can be passive
Yes it can. Lots of cheap storebout monitor speakers that are 1 amp channel built in driving a 2-way with a passive XO.

dave
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:41 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes it can. Lots of cheap storebout monitor speakers that are 1 amp channel built in driving a 2-way with a passive XO.
Then they are active speakers.

Honestly, I don't like this terminology, even if it is domestic. It is confusing, artificial. Call me anti-patriot, but I prefer international terminology accepted by the outside of the forum world.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:42 AM   #407
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
I know that, but that is the input impedance of my amps. I'm not going to change that.
Looks like you're not really cut out for passive LC then
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:43 AM   #408
MiiB is online now MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Dave, you can just add the lower impedance parallel to the input impedance of your power amps.(not change the amp itself)
I have have even built at three-way like this, where I took the signal over a 20 ohm resistor (serial filter) posing as the basedriver in a system with powered woofer.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:49 AM   #409
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
@Wave - what's the SRF of the primary of your 12H trafo? IOW, what's the parasitic shunt capacitance? Also what core material?
I don't remember. But core material is fantastic! Huge inductance for such tiny size.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:50 AM   #410
diyAudio Member

Is it commercially available or a 'special' ?

Hide this!Advertise here!