Active vrs passive - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 10:52 PM   #381
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes Falvio, I agree. For me passive have certain practical advantages. It took me many years and much listening to admit that they can be just as good (sometimes better) than active crossovers. Yes, I was an active crossover snob! After a good 12 step program I am now able to live a passive life. And you know what? I'm happy.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:02 PM   #382
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
I don't understand your point. The goal here is the accurate reproduction of the original source signal. This shouldn't be about what suits your taste better, but what works better, and why should it work better.
Let's start from the definition. What is passive, what is active. If I use passive LC filters before active power amps for woofers and for subwoofer, is it active, or passive? If I use passive capacitor after active power amp that drives directly midrange array, and tweeter array through the cap, is it passive or active? If digital Audyssey takes care of the rest, is such system active, or passive?

I would understand if the question was, "Should I add crossover inside of my speakers, or should I add as well amps inside of them"?

Because active speaker means a speaker with an amplifier inside. Passive speaker means a speaker without an amplifier inside. Which are better, which are worse? The question is irrelevant. If they were designed by carpenters with their understanding of physics there is a slight chance that they would sound somehow, but in the most cases no matter are they active or passive, they will sound like a furniture.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:04 PM   #383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Yes Falvio, I agree. For me passive have certain practical advantages. It took me many years and much listening to admit that they can be just as good (sometimes better) than active crossovers. Yes, I was an active crossover snob! After a good 12 step program I am now able to live a passive life. And you know what? I'm happy.
That is very interesting. I guess you have a remarkable amplifier, and a remarkable crossover as well.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:07 PM   #384
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is very interesting. I guess you have a remarkable amplifier, and a remarkable crossover as well.
Also he has very remarkable speakers. People who heard his system said that it fools imagination as if the performers play and sing in the room, in front of them!
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:08 PM   #385
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Let's start from the definition. What is passive, what is active. If I use passive LC filters before active power amps for woofers and for subwoofer, is it active, or passive?
That's a passive line-level crossover. Usually "passive" is shorthand for passive crossovers at the amplifier outputs. Semantics.

Quote:
If I use passive capacitor after active power amp that drives directly midrange array, and tweeter array through the cap, is it passive or active?
Depends if that capacitor is only there as a DC-protection cap or not.

Quote:
If digital Audyssey takes care of the rest, is such system active, or passive?
It's a hybrid system.

Quote:
Because active speaker means a speaker with an amplifier inside. Passive speaker means a speaker without an amplifier inside.
This is your understanding of the term. I do not agree with your usage of the term.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:11 PM   #386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also he has very remarkable speakers. People who heard his system said that it fools imagination as if the performers play and sing in the room, in front of them!
Not to steer away the thread, but this is exactly what i got with reasonably priced speakers, by simply adding 2 rear channels and feeding the following to the rear speakers:

Rear Left: (L-R) delayed 5 to 15 mSec
Rear Right: (R-L) delayed 5 to 15 mSec

Tricks invented in the 40s by the Phillips engineers...

Careful adjustment of the rear levels expanded the front soundstage dramatically and indeed projected the musicians to the front in a wide arc, in which you could discern perfectly what was going on. Quite remarkable.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:14 PM   #387
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Dave, pick any two woofer and sqwawker (or a sqwawker and a tweeter) and they will be more mismatched than the most dissimilar amplifiers!!
In your dreams maybe.

dave
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:15 PM   #388
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is your understanding of the term. I do not agree with your usage of the term.
At least my term has some useful meaning.

Also, here is the proof: the majority agrees with me! http://lmgtfy.com/?q=active+speaker

Last edited by Wavebourn; 22nd October 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:18 PM   #389
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
In your dreams maybe.

dave
Right, so two different-frequency-range drivers (i.e. midrange and woofer) will have a more closely matched transfer function than two amplifiers?

Can't believe that.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:18 PM   #390
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
L
Because active speaker means a speaker with an amplifier inside. Passive speaker means a speaker without an amplifier inside.
This has been argued ad nauseum.

What you describe is a powered speaker. It can be active or passive.

For me an active system is one where each driver has their own amplifier, XO (if any) in front of the amplifiers.

Passive takes the amplifier output and divides it, then sends to the speaker.

It doesn't matter where the amps are, but where the XO is.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!