Active vrs passive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fidelity, or Truth, should only be available to those who can afford it. So the active filtered multi amped Reality Conduit cannot be accessed by mainstreeters who are oddly enough the generators of content: artists. The music itself gets lost in this "debate." It seems that diversity is not yet the norm even here. We crave The One and our personal link to It. Rabies is Good!

:D

This thread isn't about when you should choose active or when you should choose passive, it's just about the differences between the two and then which ends up on top.

If cost is no object I think there is no question high slope/phase accurate digital XO + DSP is the clear winner. High quality implementations such as the DEQX, when coupled with really great DACs, and then augmented with extensive room-correction become very, very hard to beat. For the DIYer, it's about the only way to go if the objective is to build something that will compete (and possibly go further) than the top high-end systems like Magico, etc... just be prepared to shell out a lot of money ($40K+ or so?) for DEQX, outboard DACS and 2 good quality amps, plus whatever the speakers end up costing.

One particular advantage of the above approach is that with the DEQX type implementation, you can cross over the HF units waay lower than usual, and thus avoid a whole lot of issues caused by lobing and interference. This is one area which is VERY hard (impossible?) to duplicate using passive EQ and still keep time-coherence which I regard as essential.

About cost: it's true this can also be done on PC's using other SW than what DEQX offers so conveniently, in which case subtract a couple of grand. Also, if you do like I've done and find/mod some high quality Class-d boards from China, then the amps are much less costly, with still superlative performance.

Which leaves us with the DACs - not one, but twin or triplet DACs - that's a big $$$ ouch if top quality is what you are after. But yes at that point, all other factors being of equal quality (amps, speakers, cables, etc), I would say the fully active route is the way to go. And for inexperienced DIYers, the chances of getting it work really well is much, much higher if they have something like the DEQX on hand.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In practice, like you, I have found it necessary to adopt the B&K listening curve... I'm of the opinion that this is due to the way most music is recorded, when I record using a near binaural set-up with a modded Jecklin type disc and calibration mics, the "flat" setting generated by the deqx seems better.
Hmmm.... good to know. I'll listen to some straight ahead recordings (and make some) and let you know what I find.

It had always been my guess that the slight downward tilt sounds more like what we expect in natural sound because of the roll off with distance. At least, it sounds that way to me. When I used to mix front of house, we'd occasionally get a studio engineer (He mixed our CD, dude!) to try his hand at a mix. Always far too bright - rip your ears off. I suppose that's because the studio guys sit very close to the monitors and are used to super detail and want to hear it in the P.A. You just don't get that kind of detail in a big venue. If you try to get it, it sounds awful.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you think that your passive implementation sounds better then all that really means is a) you're imagining it, or b) you failed with your active crossover.
I remain unconvinced. One could just as easily say:
"If you think that your active implementation sounds better then all that really means is a) you're imagining it, or b) you failed with your passive crossover."

Both are just as valid.

As for never going back to passive - yeah, I used to think that. But not any more. :) I still like the sound of active crossovers too, so really have no favorite horse in this race. Both can be very good if well implemented. For some systems one makes more sense than the other, so it could be called "better". You just have to know when that is.

... now you have to lay down $40K to have a decent active system???
Decent is one thing, top notch is another.

but that $40K looks like the minimum if you want to have really great DACs to truly compete with the big boys. Count'em: three DACs. If you want something top-notch like the EMM labs that starts looking like $40K+ all by itself.

If you're like me, you settle for the DACs on the DEQX while lusting after the better DACs you've had the pleasure of exposing yourself to and simply accept the pain of not having enough scratch to afford 'em.

Me, I'm waiting for another 2 years to see what DACs sound like then. They're definitely gettin' better all the time, and quickly.

Decent is one thing, top notch is another.

but that $40K looks like the minimum if you want to have really great DACs to truly compete with the big boys. Count'em: three DACs. If you want something top-notch like the EMM labs that starts looking like $40K+ all by itself.

If you're like me, you settle for the DACs on the DEQX while lusting after the better DACs you've had the pleasure of exposing yourself to and simply accept the pain of not having enough scratch to afford 'em.

Me, I'm waiting for another 2 years to see what DACs sound like then. They're definitely gettin' better all the time, and quickly.
We're definitely not on the same page. I'm thinking most people here are trying to get the most for the lea$t .. trading some sweat equity to achieve that higher level of audio satisfaction. ... a hobby, an experiment.

A $40K+ system in my house will need to do the laundry, mow the lawn. chop wood, ... Then, ... will probably be too tired to sound any better than what I have now.

Hey Pano, interesting comment.

I actually use BOTH a deqx AND a Behringer DEQ2496 on my larger system (the H3 refd in my website). I use the deqx outdoors to get the best "naked, near anechoic" speaker performance. But when used in a room, I find the DEQX "single point in space" tuning is too restrictive, so I then associate the DEQ to correct for the average hemispherical in-room response.
Also, the 64 slot memory function on the DEQ makes it easy to incorporate what i politely call CRC or "commercial recording compensation" with varying degrees of corrections. It's almost mandatory if you like rock and pop from the 70's and 80's (e.g. Allman Bros 1st album is almost unlistenable without some major re-eq compensation - too bad 'cause it's smokin good music!) Press memory button on the deq, select which CRC you want, and.... voila! it becomes listenable and.... very , very enjoyable!

Could you expand on this a bit more? (might be OT in this thread, but why bother with a new one)

To help out, I use the deqx two (haha, meaning 'as well' AND two of them....well I thought it was clever :eek:) so in the most part I am up to speed.

What I don't quite get is why you need to use the deq and it's memory when the deqx has about four hundred of them. I presume you mean 'salting to taste?', so what can the deq do that the deqx cannot? (oh, and just to make things that bit more spooky, I use a deq in the system as well! Not two of them haha)

Another comment I might make about the active vs passive debate is that when we are going "active" we have very little "high def, high transparency" equipment to choose from. I often use a Behringer DCX2496 for my clients systems, but it needs some serious modding to sound transparent. And the DEQX has pretty good built-in dacs, but even so it can sound much better with outboard dacs such as the Antelope Zodiac Gold (to name just one I've tried and really liked)

Ouch! :) One of mine has the digital out, but hey I balk at that sort of expenditure! Definitely dbt time when going that far.

I thought I was hardcore, I dips me lid to you sir.

... now you have to lay down $40K to have a decent active system???

I get your point, and see your horror, but tbh I think it about time this angle WAS raised.

I am not sure about the 40k bit (see above) but I do think, as a general guide, most of the projects and discussions on this forum DO revolve around the bang for the buck end, and that is NOT being dismissive.

So, maybe every once in a while, and it does seem appropriate maybe in a thread like this, let's at least look at this rarely mentioned approach. Not quite 'cost no object' (mine prob owes me around 20k) but hey, I'd put mine up against any of the 'big boys' and then some.

So anyway, personally I think it fine and cool that we also throw the expensive systems into the mix, even on the same basis as the budget projects...'bang for the buck'.

Sure, lot's of bucks, but when you look at the idiotic cost of 'hi end' and compare results....

If my life depended on anyone here really being able to tell the difference between low cost and hyper-expensive DACs, I'd be very worried. Ditto 192 vs. 44.1.

Question: do any of you vinyl addicts hear a difference between music at the outer tracks of an LP vs. music on the inside?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
some time ago, in another thread, I was looking at what will happen when offsetting a uni pivot bearing point

you would think its the same, and I thought so too
but try the experiemnt with a model
it actually works
tho it might have other less good side effects from the 'unbalanced' design
needs some weight compensation

could be its best to combine it the AR type arm bearing that looks more like the turn table bearing
thats the sidewards movement
up and down movement bearing/control could be simple adjustable side mounted double pivot points, and placed closer to the pickup, with a shorter arm
there might be a few like that already

Attachments

• arm.JPG
    arm.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 132
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Question: do any of you vinyl addicts hear a difference between music at the outer tracks of an LP vs. music on the inside?

Even though it's a long time since I listened to any vinyl I'm pretty certain of my memory that almost ALL records sounded VERY different on the inside to the outside. The only exception I can think of to this general rule is the very outside of Side one of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" compared to the very inside of Side four of "The Wall" These in fact are very similar.... :D

Tony.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.