Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 09:46 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Why?

Execution is very important. All too many active systems are only good. A very well executed passive system can outperform an only good active system.

Your statement is far to general to be anywhere near true.

dave
you couldnt be more right , i bought recently a dsp and i cant get close to the sound i had with what i tought were cheap JBL crossovers
Old 18th October 2012, 10:33 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

The way I see it, the preference for the passive crossover is another one of those folk-superstitions that account for 90% of the audiophile industry. I can understand where it comes from: the physical form of a purely active system in no way resembles a musical instrument so how can it sound musical? Even worse, digital audio is just numbers and bits, that, at heart produce a stepped output that simply must sound "grainy"; it stands to reason. By using old fashioned coils, glowing vacuum tubes and animal-based glue, we can restore the audio to its natural state; it stands to reason. The beauty of the passive crossover is that it is able to purify the signal at the actual output of the amplifier, so even solid state amplifiers with their plastic output devices can be purged of their inevitable plastic sound with some good old fashioned components glued down using techniques familiar to musical instrument makers.

But it's not easy to enter the guild of crossover designers; to a normal person the passive crossover may just look like a very small selection of components that can't possibly produce an optimal design, but this is where the long apprenticeship pays off. It turns out that there is a permutation of two or three components that always produces the optimum filters for any selection of drive units. It sounds unbelievable, but it's true, and the good crossover designer can find it.

Truly they are the Stradivarii of our age.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:38 AM   #103
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool! I have to admit, If I had that talent, I would never give it up for active. Why? Because..

Last edited by Remlab; 18th October 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:44 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
The way I see it, the preference for the passive crossover is another one of those folk-superstitions that account for 90% of the audiophile industry. I can understand where it comes from: the physical form of a purely active system in no way resembles a musical instrument so how can it sound musical? Even worse, digital audio is just numbers and bits, that, at heart produce a stepped output that simply must sound "grainy"; it stands to reason. By using old fashioned coils, glowing vacuum tubes and animal-based glue, we can restore the audio to its natural state; it stands to reason. The beauty of the passive crossover is that it is able to purify the signal at the actual output of the amplifier, so even solid state amplifiers with their plastic output devices can be purged of their inevitable plastic sound with some good old fashioned components glued down using techniques familiar to musical instrument makers.

But it's not easy to enter the guild of crossover designers; to a normal person the passive crossover may just look like a very small selection of components that can't possibly produce an optimal design, but this is where the long apprenticeship pays off. It turns out that there is a permutation of two or three components that always produces the optimum filters for any selection of drive units. It sounds unbelievable, but it's true, and the good crossover designer can find it.

Truly they are the Stradivarii of our age.
Haha
Old 18th October 2012, 10:47 AM   #105
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Some of you have seen these, some have not. Good read..

Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: A Primer

A Bessel Filter Crossover, and Its Relation to Others
Old 18th October 2012, 11:21 AM   #106
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
The way I see it, the preference for the passive crossover is another one of those folk-superstitions that account for 90% of the audiophile industry. I can understand where it comes from: the physical form of a purely active system in no way resembles a musical instrument so how can it sound musical?
rubbish psycholgy bable
and offending to insinuate Im that stupid
I can build a violin, if I want to
and I still like electric guitar, and bass
and I can build those too
but got nothing to do with any of this
am I not a free intelligent person who is able to form my own opinion, and free of some kind of screwded and weird deeper psycho psychology ?
Old 18th October 2012, 11:31 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Relax man... I think it was a joke from CopperTop.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:37 AM   #108
diyAudio Moderator

ah, ok, a joke ? then it was funny and Im still a fool who like to build stuff and not thinking much about it
Old 18th October 2012, 11:43 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

It was funny, because it really captured the "logic" (or lack thereof) of the majority of audiophiles....

But hey, vinyl is made of plastic! Why doesn't it sound artificial? Or maybe its organic vinyl of some kind, what do I know.....
Old 18th October 2012, 11:47 AM   #110
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Why doesn't it sound artificial?
it doesn't ?

Hide this!Advertise here!