SAND LINER - DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've done this a few times; it seems to work well and meets all my criteria:

* Easy

* Low cost

* Could take extra time

Recipe: Simple - pick up Spray 77 at Home Depot, tape edges, spray and add sand. Let each application dry 12 hours.

This pic has 4 "coats"

Be careful with the glue, it's got a real kick to it :zombie:

Attachments

• Sand 1.jpg
    Sand 1.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:
So, this lowers both the panel resonance frequency and the Q.
I would hope a topcoat to seal the sand in, as I would not want it shaking loose and a grain inside my woofer gap. Couple coats of thick latex house paint maybe.

I offer that proper bracing and fill will do better. The only way to tell is two boxes and test.

Yes on multi-layer; this takes 3 - 4 days (5 mins morning/night)

Yes on top coat(s), going to use clear poly.

I do have similar mdf cabinets (left pic) and have done some testing..the sand wall boxes (right pic) are way better. If fact, going to pull the speakers out of the black boxes and move to new sand wall boxes.

The boxes on the right sound great (sand walls), one of my best projects - that's why building more.

Attachments

• mdfvssand.jpg
    mdfvssand.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 678
Quick and Easy

I thought some might like this ploy:

For the port I picked up a 12" drain extension at HD ($2.50) in the plumbing section.

This PCV tube is 1-1/2" OD, all I needed for the hole was a standard 1 -1/2" flat spade bit. It was a good fit; used hot glue to glue it in.

For the next project, might use the flare end of the PVC (which would need a bigger hole)

Attachments

• Quick.JPG
    Quick.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 566
Keep on Trucking

Awkward...did you take pics :scared:

I let the solvent base glue dry 12 hours per coat, outside, in the wind/sun.

About 4 hours for the clear poly; It seems fine, don't smell any glue, etc.

Applying oak veneer (cheap stuff-ebay) so thin can't sand it. Just just using yellow glue, weights, razor knife to apply it.

Attachments

• Oct Pic.JPG
    Oct Pic.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 391
Its Official - no difference Plywood and MDF

Well none that I could tell anyway. The darker wood boxes are MDF, the Oak boxes are plywood, both have "sand walls" everything else is the same.

I've been building these out of parts that were stored in boxes, so they all have been low cost projects. I'd buy some new woofers if I could find better one(s).

I'm sure they are out there, I just know where to start (these have really cool bass). [Peerless woofers shown]

The Vifa tweeters are pretty nice, probably the best of the tweeters in the $30 range.

Attachments

• MDFvsPly.jpg
    MDFvsPly.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Just curious. Has anyone ever tried this with #12 lead shot? It is lead ball for shotshells and you can buy it here.

BPI Lead Shot #12 10 lb Bag

1.25 mm diameter (0,05 inch) but quite pricey for a 10 lb (4.54 kg) bag at US $44.

What do you all think? If one were willing to spend the money do you think it would make a difference?

I thought lead shot was banned. Most shot is steel.

Anyway, I think this is expending great efforts on things that are not the biggest problem. Just my experience, but I never found that dime under the streetlight just because the light was better.

Awkward...did you take pics :scared:

I let the solvent base glue dry 12 hours per coat, outside, in the wind/sun.

About 4 hours for the clear poly; It seems fine, don't smell any glue, etc.

Applying oak veneer (cheap stuff-ebay) so thin can't sand it. Just just using yellow glue, weights, razor knife to apply it.
The solvent glue fumed for weeks! My current build uses 4 layers of stone chipped roofing felt, held on with LOTS of bitumen emulsion and nails or screws, depending on hammer access. Allowed to dry for a few hours, they can be brought indoors to be worked on. Much of the work has to be done in my living room; and yes, I AM married.
These are isobarics, crossing over (actively) at 134Hz/24dB octave,.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Supervisor.
IMGDEAD]

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.