How i replaced my dust cap... Vol 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a wild hair to fix up these speakers that had been abused by their former owner, i got them for free so what the hey. They are ADS inc. from 1986 model number L470/2. anyways they had the surround completly separated from the basket so i bought some glue (crafters pick the ultimate, big thanx to MarkMcK for the info). and fixed that prob. the dust cap was all crushed in and i read a thread about replacing the dust cap a few days ago and got some ideas.

the firsto photo (i've never posted pictures so please excuse any ignorance you may encounter) is of the cut out dust cap, i used a razor to remove as much as i could, there was even dust under the dust cap! I could see the voice coil inside, it was an aluminum one.

Attachments

• no dust cap #1.jpg
    no dust cap #1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 241
still new to this... anyways, after i cut the piece off the pepsi can i took my dremel to it to make it semi even, no sharp edges. the i laid a piece of sand paper out flat and made sure it was even and flat on the bottom.

Attachments

• sanding the bottom flat.jpg
    sanding the bottom flat.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 184
Then i jammed some holes in it with a leather punch thingy, like 10 or 15 holes, then i sanded that all nice so no sharp edges were poking out. it should keep the voice coil nice and cool, since it isnt vented on the magnet. but what if dirt gets inside the coil..... hmmmm....

Attachments

• holes for ventilation.jpg
    holes for ventilation.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 188
took some stretchy black cloth and glued it with the same glue as i used on the surround. painted it on with a brush on all the top and sides. then i rubber banded it and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. then i cut around the edges.

Attachments

• gluing cloth to dust cap.jpg
    gluing cloth to dust cap.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 163
I hope it stays on. it seems pretty sturdy on there. i glued the edge of the cap all the way around. I will re-edit all these posts once i am not being moderated for being a newbeeeee! thanks for your patience.

Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• ready with glue.jpg
    ready with glue.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 162
My next project is a few months in the distance but I am going to take apart my super bulky sonotube subwoofer and make a nice compact sub. it will have a 15" dayton DVC and two 15" passive radiators. I can't wait, i am always excited about tackling new projects. I actually want to start a speaker refurbishing business and run it out of my house. Aahhh the life that would be!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.