Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2017, 11:25 PM   #2271
Oabeieo is offline Oabeieo  United States
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

I made a crossover and some corrections on combfilters with excellent results

I have a question

If I use "invert" on timing on the general tab and generate that will it just make a mirror copy?

Sorry just haven't used the feature seems like it does just want to be certain
Old 13th October 2017, 12:21 AM   #2272
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajapruk View Post
How do I know if the signal is "clear enough"? What to look for?
Lack of early destructive peaks/reflections in the IR? A magnitude-response smooth enough to equalise flat?
The more measurements you average the smoother the frequency response will become, the phase will also get cleaner due to the lower level of reflections. You can see it very easily in the ETC, see how much lower and shorter the red (averaged) response is

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool-etc-single-average-jpg

A lot will depend on your speaker and room as to how directive the speakers are and how reflective the room is.

In my first test I used 22 separate measurements and it did a very good job of suppressing the room contribution. It also took most of the day to do so the next time I did 8 measurements for each side along the back of my couch in line with my ear position when seated

What the spatial averaging does is remove a lot of the position dependent room problems but leaves the dominant ones that affect the majority of positions. The method also weights dips more heavily than basic frequency averaging.

Gold basic frequency average, purple impulse averaged

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool-frequency-vs-impulse-averaging-jpg

One thing to watch out for with the Time Align Function is that it is doing a batch function of estimate IR delay, depending on your impulse sometimes this does not work so well (not a criticism just an observation).

Using a loopback timing reference is a good idea, if not check all the impulses in the overlay window to see how closely they align. If they are a little bit off it will cause the very high frequencies to appear lower than they really are when averaged due to cancellations from the misaligned impulses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frequency vs Impulse Averaging.jpg (63.9 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg ETC Single v Average.jpg (82.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 13th October 2017, 05:58 AM   #2273
Rajapruk is offline Rajapruk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much fluid. I see.

Which of the average methods is most true to reality? The pronounciation of dips, is it ”real” or an artefact?

Using timing reference channel does not give the time including ”time of flight” to the mic, but using acoustic timing reference does. Any of those 2 methods that is prefered? I have the timing reference channel wired today, with my BSS BLU160 dsp in the timing loop.

This seems to go off-topic a bit. But it’s still related to the use of rePhase, I think.

Last edited by Rajapruk; 13th October 2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 13th October 2017, 08:09 AM   #2274
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

I honestly do not know which if either of the methods is more correct.

The dips are real but they can be "exaggerated" by the averaging. Look at all the different measurements overlaid and you will be able to see through "optical averaging" as described by Bob McCarthy. A big dip in one single measurement could dominate when all the others don't have it. Three measurements of 3, 0 and -3 when averaged come out to 0 it is representative of one value but not the other two.

I chose impulse response averaging because I use the DRC program which takes an impulse as input.

To me the loopback timing reference is preferred if you have a separate mic and preamp. But even with that there will be time of flight differences when you move the mic.

At the bottom of this page the options are explained
Making Measurements
Old 13th October 2017, 08:19 AM   #2275
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oabeieo View Post

If I use "invert" on timing on the general tab and generate that will it just make a mirror copy?

Sorry just haven't used the feature seems like it does just want to be certain
Hi Oabeieo

The time=inv feature is more of a test feature than anything really useful in an actual real world correction.
You can think of it as a temporal inversion of the generated (F)IR.
Magnitude stays the same but phase information is mirrored as you noted.
In this mode filter linearizations become all-passes, and all-passes become... filter linearizations
It was meant to test phase shifts audibility, but this can now also be done using all-pass filters since version 1.1.0.

I should probably remove that "feature" as it is indeed confusing...
Old 13th October 2017, 02:31 PM   #2276
Joshcpct is online now Joshcpct  Germany
diyAudio Member

HI pos. Please donít remove it! Its genius.

I used to apply in many cases.
Example, the phase of certain Bandpass of driver should be linearized.
Far too difficult for equalizer.
Way more handy in the compensation mode of the filter linearization tab.
But there you got limited selection of filter cases.

So what i do, i create minimumphase bandpass.
And then i linearize the same with linear phase in amplitude.
Leaves me with exaxt same phase distortion as the driver has, but neutral in Amplitude.
Guess what happens if i know reverse the time

Pls keep it!!

Cheers
Josh
Old 13th October 2017, 04:03 PM   #2277
Oabeieo is offline Oabeieo  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks pos,
I used it to make a exact mirror of the timing I advanced on one side to be pulled back from the other, saved me a few steps. It sounded like it worked,
But that's pretty nifty actually, I was just screwing around blasting out diffrent trial and error settings trying to find the best spot to adress a few severe combfilters after reading a bunch about haas. So it's actually pretty useful for a car environment where left and right are so far off and needs a mirror copy on some things so the centered vocal dosent get pulled on one way or the other, I would say most cases the PLD is almost exactly double so it works nice , at least get close. I know most combfilters look completely different and are centered at different frequencies in a car, but the ones caused by speaker interaction and not by reflection seem to work best if I do all delays first and retain that balance.
It works in my case , maybe not every car. So I like it .
Old 13th October 2017, 10:01 PM   #2278
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

OK OK then, I'll leave it as is
Old 14th October 2017, 08:58 PM   #2279
Rajapruk is offline Rajapruk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have noticed my Focusrite 2i2 soundcard / mic-preamp has pretty severe crosstalk between L and R.
I am not sure I will be using the timing reference channel. It might interfere in the measurement with the crosstalk? And the T=0 on impulse peak can be set manually, or through "estimate ir windows", I guess.
Acoustic timing reference is also the option. Maybe that is the best, in my case.
(sorry for the REW OT goes on, pos tell me if you do not want it here)
Old 14th October 2017, 11:06 PM   #2280
jtalden is offline jtalden  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 2i2 is problematic due to high frequency crosstalk, but can be managed.
  • Using acoustic timing set the REW 'timing reference level' to -60dB; the minimum setting. [Anything less than -45dB may be low enough to prevent the crosstalk from falsely triggering the measurement.]
  • Using loopback timing there is no issue. If the measurement is triggered by crosstalk, or loopback, it doesn't really matter as the timing is the same.

rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering toolHide this!Advertise here!